ca18det vs sr20det

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by solid snake, Jul 22, 2003.

1. solid snake

solid snake New Member

i was reading the sr20det in a supra thread in the main forum a few days ago, and some people were extolling the virtues of the ca18 over the sr20 even. I know it was the previous silvia engine before the sr, but I've not really heard much more about it than that.
    anybody care to clue me in ?

^c
    ps. i'd post a poll, but i'm sure the sr would rape the ca based on pure name recognition alone.

2. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

The SR would be a newer engine (obviously), it has the advantage a larger aftermarket, more torque, and can make more over all power.

The advantage of the CA is that its cheaper and its easier to find parts for it in the US.

If you want balls to the wall horse power and you have an unlimited budget, go with the SR. If you have a limited budget and you just want to make decent power, go with the CA.

3. solid snake

solid snake New Member

are you talking about the CA18DET or the KA24DE?

4. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

CA18DET

5. subaru kun

subaru kun New Member

are you talking about KA? yes in contrast to SR, KA would have better avaliability and cheaper parts since all 240sx in US came with KA24DE and KA24D.
    CA is harder to find than SR, as i recall, you wont see many CA or kaT in the states as you see SR in streets and in magazines. SR has became the bandwagon almighty engine for silvia based cars, and overshadow true potential of CA and KA engines.

this is kind of off the topic, i was LMAO when in first fast and furious, the guy said at one point "do you have SR for my civic?" uhggg which one? SR20DET from RWD car? or SR20DE from fwd USDM sentra? everything can fabricated to fit into engine bay but RWD engine in FWD body? good luck doing it! FWD SR20DE would be better choice but good luck to that also since you want to put nissan in honda, wiring and bolting so on and on would be hell. one would have better luck with 18 series engine.

well, in the end,
    higher RPM of CA18 and having one of kind
    larger aftermarket support of sr20 from japan that is
    the torque of kaT and immediate avaliability of parts

my dream was to have CA in my 93 240sx, but i was young and broke, and if i had unlimited budget and still had my 240sx, id turbo KA engine, even some complains about thin cylinder wall, BUT there is no replacement for displacement. 2.4 L turbo anyone?:)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2003
  6. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I was talking about the CA. There were more CA powered cars sold in America than SR: The 85-88 200SX (), pre-1990 Stanzas, and 88-89 Pulsars. The CA18DET was never sold in America, but the parts can easily be found at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.

7. twofaze

twofaze H.N.I.C.

i'd want a CA 'cause my pockets aren't too deep, it can take alot of boost on the stock internals, and not everyone n their mama has one....

also the ports of the CA allow better "breathing"
    IRON baby, gotta love it...

8. Little Erve

Little Erve New Member

What you want is one of these:

[​IMG]

9. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Without the topmount of course.

10. Little Erve

Little Erve New Member

There's not much point to a FMIC in this car, it has one of the best stock TMIC's around.

11. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

But the top mount will only fit underneath the hood of the GTi-R. Any other car will need a new hood or a front mount.

12. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

i want a ca too =[ but i dont know how much is it. or where to get one around in norcal

13. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

The topmount of the GTi-R was considered to be one of the downfalls of the car, becoming heatsoaked rather quickly. It is a nice cooler, just in the wrong position.
    A lot of work trying to put one in a rwd car as well. But quad throttles, mmmm.

Combined with the AWD though they are a rocket, two people I know have them, one runs a very low 12 with simple mods (standard turbo), the other a mid 13 with only a new front mount and standard boost.

14. Little Erve

Little Erve New Member

Yeah, it becomes heatsoaked at the lights when you're trying to race, which is of course, what it was intended for. :p

15. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Yeah the old interwarmer :)
    I still want one of those as my next car, some people say they are ugly, but I think they are just got for there function. Probably little else though!

16. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

yea i think the SR is a little over rated and over swaped, why would you swap in a smaller motor (that cost almost $2500) when you can get a turbo kit for the KA24 for probaly less than the swap costs, and probaly easier to install. you also would have more horses and can still go down to the auto parts store and get parts

17. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Man, you don;t know shit. Nothing personal, but you really should educate yourself about reality before being so hell-bent on looking stupid.

18. thafox

thafox Guest

imho fuck tha sr20det...ka24de all the way...cast iron block cheaper to find, turbo kit's now avail makin upto 420 on stock internals for bout as much as the sr if not cheaper

19. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

then tell me everything that i "dont" know?? the sr20 makes 205 hp the ca18 makes 175hp i dont think that 30 more hp is worth over $600.

20. gehzumteufel

gehzumteufel Guest

man for all of you guys the ca18 was never a silvia motor. it was put in the 240 fastbacks (180sx in japan) as the BASE engine (in japan of course) and the 200sx and stanza as you metioned earlier. sr20det was the optional motor in the fastbacks for 89 and 90 then in 91+ the sr was standard equip. also for those saying sr is harder to install its actually easier than the ca18 because it needs no custom fabrication or any custom mounting since it uses all the same exact mounting. the sr is a very good swap candidate but as mentioned done its too popular. too many people have them. but then again same thing is becoming true with the RB25DET swaps so it dont matter either way.

21. gehzumteufel

gehzumteufel Guest

i am a 240sx fastback owner btw. 92 se.

22. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

The SR20 is overrated and over swapped? :rolleyes:

The CA18 is easier to get parts for in the US? :rolleyes:

You don;t have experience with these engines to say that the SR is not better than the CA18. Nissan STOPPED making the CA in favor of the SR and all you see in Japan are tuned SRs running around with well over the stock 205hp. Availiblity of parts and engines is astounding for the SR as it is a superior engine over the CA and KA engines.

23. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

you really know it all, dont you? :rolleyes:

S13 Silvia:-

Introduced 1988. Two body styles (coupe, & convertible).
    Japanese market cars feature CA18DE and CA18DET engines (KS13 Models)
    and later the SR20DE and SR20DET engines (PS13 Models).

RS13 180SX:-

The hatch version of the S13 with pop-up headlights.
    Early (RKS13) models feature CA18DET, later (RPS13) models the SR20DET.

the CA & SR are no more difficult than the other to install in a US S13 240SX, as mounts & all other necessary fittings are available for either engine from the Japanese equivalent. neither need an custom fabrication whatsoever if all the factory parts are obtained.

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

Swapping a ca and sr is basicly the same. How is it harder with a ca? It's acually 'easier' on a ca because you can use the ka radiator. Everything else is the same in the swap, IE: ps lines, dohc guage cluster...

25. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

ka24de - t > sr20det > ca18det

i had an SR, if i had to do it again i'd go with KA cause of the higher displacement,

but to be on topic i think the sr is a better engine than the ca, theres alot more of the SR around plus interchangeable parts with USDM sr20de engines, plus theres more aftermarket support