ca18det > sr20det

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 1337, Dec 14, 2003.

1. 1337

1337 Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

[after a horridly long discussion, i'd love to be enlightened]
    Why? ( in an s13)

2. I think when going to extremes the CA will hold togethor better, mainly the fact that the SR has an alloy block..

So for big power for a 4 cyl, the CA is going to be easier to get the big numbers..
    Im using a 3L RB engine in my S13 though.. just to be different.

3. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Whats up guys
    Since you guys are talking about going to extremes, I just wanted to tell you that TopSecret has an S14 SR thats makes 800WHP, JUN has few that make WHP in 700s and 600s and there is S14 powered by SR thats runs 9 on radials not sure what kinda HP is makes thou but I think its in 700 and the most powerfull CA I ever came across made WHP in 500s. If you know of any CA that makes more hp please let me know?

4. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

RB20DET>SR20DET>CA18DET in the S13. discuss

5. 1337

1337 Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

two more cylinders for same displacment, same power, and more weight? iono...

6. SilviaDriver

SilviaDriver Guest

and the debate goes on....

the CA vs SR debate will never cease...
    personally, the CA takes the cake over the SR

7. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Haha! The CA is a good motor, but the SR is newer, offers more power, is easier to get parts for, etc. There is no way that the CA is superior except maybe in sentimental value. The RB is not a better choice either as the SR can make more power than an RB20 too. I should know as I had an RB20.

But, this is not to say the CA is crap, but rather that other engines listed are better.

8. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Its not as hard as you think.

9. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

It is for guys in the US.

10. gilwankel

gilwankel Chippa Choo?

CA18DE and CA18ET both were in the states. So finding most parts for the CA18DET can be found at your local napa. Aftermarket isnt as strong though.

11. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

It also came in the Pulsar and a SOHC version came in the Stanza.

That parts are just hard to get in the US as SR20 parts.

12. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Correct.

13. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

SR20 parts are easy to get. Might be a little expensive but a quick search on google will list you several places that stock SR20 parts.

14. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

Sorry to burst your bubble.. But thats nothing different at all. MANY MANY people have RBs in their 240's. I personaly was considering doing an RB swap into my 240, however have since decided on just selling the 240.

15. gilwankel

gilwankel Chippa Choo?

Not so many have done RB30 swaps though, atleast not on this continent.

16. I said 3L.. good luck finding any RB30DETT powered 240's in the states :rofl:

17. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Everyone likes the SR b/c they like to hop on the bandwagon. The SR is a slightly easier swap, that's it.

The CA18 is capable of more power, more reliably. It has much better geometry, and is fairly unique since most people don't want to take a little extra time, money, or effort to do the better choice and be unique.

18. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

CA is "tougher" than the SR even though it's much older than the SR.
    Many people go the SR because it's a much newer engine which has readily available parts and just because it's so much popular than the CA.
    A CA is what I would call a sleeper with a tough block, unlike the SR and because it's much more capable of higher revs than an SR, and any Honda person will tell you: "Revs = Power"

19. KoukiS14

KoukiS14 New Member

without reaading this thread :o

The CA will hold more power, but will cost a lot more to mod. .
    you buy the CA when you're not going to be staying stock. .
    or if you want an engine where parts availbility isn't going to be near as much of a problem. . (more parts available. . from NISSAN dealers for the CA) . .

The SR has more power out of the box, is newer (fresher), and will hold plenty of power for what most people want. . especially the people that don't wanna drop several more thousand dollars. (as you would in a CA). .
    parts are becoming more common for the SR, as well.

But to summarize. . CA for modding, holds a LOT of power. . SR for "bang for the buck" factor.

20. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

OK, after my siding with the CA, it's now time to give light to the SR.
    Depending on which Sr20 that you speak of, there are many variations of the SR20 and thus each have their own differences.
    But of the Silvia model's SR20 they have a fairly strong block considering the mettalurgy of it. The block has cast in liners. The main caps are iron and a really solid girdle. The cranks are pretty well designed from forged steel and counterweights.
    The rods and pistons are fairly tough, and can take a fair eating. The heads aren't the greatest but are fairly good. A good clean up will make these capable of more power in turn reducing low end response.
    All in all, the SR20 is a pretty potent unit depending on the application and how it is modified and tuned. Many people claim that the SR20 isn't as great as it really should be.

21. glacier985

glacier985 New Member

KA24DET>CA18DET>SR20DET

Iron block, almost bullet proof crank, can take 12PSI boost on a daily basis, has low-end torque as well as top-end HP, and if you blow it a cheap $200+ at a junkyard.

Personaly, in my 240 I am going all motor by putting a DOHC Ka24 head on my SOHC block. It will rasie the compression to 11.2:1 and with the right tuning I could get to 190hp. Also plan to add a custom intake manifold, bigger TB, header, and injectors.

If reallly want to know more about these motors got to 240sx.org. The fourms there have seperate KA24, SR20, and CA18 fourms.

22. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

KA24? Can't say I've heard of those before. Are they American domestic engines only? I don't recall any Nissans coming into Australia with engines labelled KA24.

23. glacier985

glacier985 New Member

Bluebirds (non-SSS) came with them. Thats the only car I know of that they came in outside the US.