CA smog question... v. turbo back exhaust

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by unknown81, Sep 27, 2007.

1. unknown81

unknown81 New Member

Ok, I have a 1985 300zx turbo & I live in Northern Cali. I am wanting to get a new exhaust and I was thinking 3in turbo back, but I would prefer to ATTEMPT to keep it smog legal. Does anyone know where i can get a CA smog legal 3in catylitic converter? If not, how should i go about passing smog?

2. JDizzy92

JDizzy92 New Member

There isn't any catylitic converter design just for california. Just go on Ebay and buy a new 3inch cat. That will be good enough. Or you can go on a nissan forum and ask if someone knows someone that will smog it illegally. Should cost u like $250. It's actually easier to past smog now since the car goes on a semi dyno machine.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's no such thing as an aftermarket CARB-approved catalyst. You can only use the OEM one, and you can only replace it after 60,000 miles or so.

That said, if you know your local shop well, then they'll know your car well, and they'll pass you regardless of the equipment you have, so long as the car is running properly.

4. unknown81

unknown81 New Member

so as long as they dont look under my car i should be alright...

5. deusexaethera

Well...as always, the best way to run a modified car is to know your shop well enough that they'll pass your car because they know it's still safe.

6. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

depends on your luck, I most recently had to go to a test-only station.

Also, my impression was that everything up to the cat has to be approved - meaning the downpipe is supposed to have a CARB number.

7. deusexaethera

I don't know the minutae of CARB laws, I just know that the catalyst has to be OEM and that you're not allowed to change it until it can't pass emissions.

8. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I know plenty of people who pass smog, at random shops, with aftermarket highflow cats. It's very difficult and expensive to prove that a cat is working or not working, so shops will pretty much replace them without any investigation. If it had to have 60k on it, would that mean that if one failed before then you couldn't replace it?