GUN Ca. Homeowner justified in shooting drunken man

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 29, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_N_justified27.4a38528.html

Homeowner justified in shooting drunken man, S.B. County district attorney's office finds

10:00 PM PDT on Thursday, June 26, 2008
    By RICHARD BROOKS
    The Press-Enterprise

A 53-year-old San Bernardino homeowner, fearful that he was dealing with a dangerous burglar, was legally justified in killing a drunken man during a 3 a.m. confrontation on the homeowner's front walkway, prosecutors said Thursday.

The finding of justifiable homicide means that no criminal charges will be filed against Brad Nielsen for the June 15 slaying of Joshua Munoz, 23, in the Devil Canyon area of northwest San Bernardino.

Munoz died of a single gunshot wound to the chest. Nielsen wasn't arrested.

"He believed that someone was trying to break into his house," San Bernardino County Supervising Deputy District Attorney Rick Young said. "When he saw (Munoz) near his vehicle, he was justified in confronting him.

"Possibly due to his intoxication, the deceased did not respond in a manner to de-escalate the situation but, instead, began approaching the homeowner who -- at gunpoint -- told him several times to stop."

Nielsen feared for his safety and the safety of his wife and child, he told police.

"He felt that if he let the subject get any closer, they would be in a fight for the gun," Young said by phone. "This tragic homicide was legally justified in self-defense and the defense of others."

Munoz had been drinking and had passed out in his Honda Civic that night, investigators have said.

The car was parked in front of his girlfriend's home and across the street from Nielsen's two-story home in the 6400 block of North Ventura Avenue.

Efforts to reach Nielsen and Munoz's girlfriend and aunt on Thursday were unsuccessful.

"He was a kid who drank too much and walked into the wrong yard," Cindy Ledbetter, the mother of Munoz's girlfriend, said earlier. "The whole thing is senseless."

Nielsen was awakened by noises, armed himself with a pistol and walked outside to investigate, police have said.

It remains unclear why Munoz was on Nielsen's property.

"He probably got disoriented and thought he was going into his girlfriend's house," Young Said. "It's a tragedy."

Reach Richard Brooks at 909-806-3057 or [email protected]

--
    Nice to see he isn't facing any charges, I'm sure he'll end up getting sued though :hs:

2. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Yeah, I'll be interested to see what becomes of the civil case :hs:

3. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Tragedy? Fuck that guy; maybe he should have learned to handle his liquor a little better and not be an asswipe when he's drunk :ugh:

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

The kid made the choice to drink himself into a stupor. His fault.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I wish there was a way to prevent stupid civil lawsuites following legal exercise of self-defense.

you know he's gonna be up shit creek in legal fees.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some states do, most with castle doctrines I believe. Ca. isn't one of them.

7. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

while im not against the homeowners actions.. i cant agree with you. How can you say his life is worthless simply because he was a lightweight?