LGBT CA Gay Marriage Bill goes to governor.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wolf, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:x:
    State senate and state assembly approved it. If Schwarzenegger signs it (unlikely :( ), CA will allow gay marriages.

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=3814486

Posted September 6, 2005 at 7:56 p.m.

SACRAMENTO (AP) -- The California Legislature on Tuesday became the first legislative body in the country to allow same-sex marriages, as gay-rights advocates overcame two earlier defeats in the Assembly.

The 41-35 vote sends the bill to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The bill's supporters compared the legislation to earlier civil rights campaigns, including efforts to eradicate slavery and give women the right to vote.

"Do what we know is in our hearts," said the bill's sponsor, San Francisco Democrat Mark Leno. "Make sure all California families will have the same protection under the law."

Leno's bill had failed in the Assembly by four votes in June, but he was confident he could get it through on a second try after the Senate approved a same-sex marriage bill last week.

Assemblyman Paul Koretz, D-West Hollywood, called bans on gay marriage "the last frontier of bigotry and discrimination, and it's time we put an end to it."

Assemblyman Tom Umberg, a Santa Ana Democrat who abstained when another gay marriage bill fell four votes short in June, said he was concerned about what his three children would think of him if he didn't join those "who sought to take a leadership role in terms of tolerance, equality and fairness."

But opponents repeatedly cited the public's vote five years ago to approve Proposition 22, an initiative that was put on the ballot by gay marriage opponents to keep California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries. "History will record that you betrayed your constituents and their moral and ethical values...," said Assemblyman Jay La Suer, R-La Mesa. "You are not leading; you have gone astray."

Specifically, Proposition 22 added a section to the state Family Code stating that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

Leno, D-San Francisco, had vowed to bring the issue to a vote Tuesday after the Senate approved the bill on a 21-15 vote last week. He said the momentum generated by that support would help him find the votes he needed for passage in the Assembly.

Leno amended the provision of the bill defeated in June into another that already had passed the Assembly and was awaiting action in the Senate. It was that bill the Assembly approved on Tuesday.

Assemblyman Doug La Malfa, R-Chico, protested the procedure Leno used to keep the issue alive after the Assembly twice rejected the legislation in June. La Malfa said one of his constituents was "totally offended" that the issue was still alive.

Leno said a recent poll found that Californians are now evenly divided over the issue.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

2. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Good Luck Wolf! :x:

3. sholnay

sholnay New Member

touche! thats a good one.. now if only I could remember how to write a letter...

4. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

I was there when they voted for it. My wife and I did the state capital tour they were voting when we got there

5. dashoe30

dashoe30 New Member

this is what someone emailed me....

In a historic vote last night, the California Assembly voted in favor of AB849, a bill that allows same-sex marriage in California. This bill has already passed the state Senate, and now depends solely on the hand of Gov. Schwarzenegger. The news reports that it is unclear what the Governor will do. Many fear he will veto this important bill -- NOW IS THE TIME TO INFLUENCE THE GOVERNOR. WE MUST BE HEARD TODAY. A phone call takes two minutes, just say: "I am a California voter (if you are), and I strongly support AB849. If the Governor vetos AB849 I will not vote for him for re-election, and will campaign against him (if you will)." or something like that.

Here is a link to an SF Chronicle article on the issue: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/09/06/MNsamesex06.TMP
    WHAT: CALL Gov. Schwarzenegger
    WHEN: TODAY -- the Governor has not made up his mind yet, and is in political turmoil -- he must impressionable now, OUR VOICE MUST BE HEARD
    WHY: Tell the Governor to SIGN AB849 -- the bill that legalizes SEX MARRIAGE IN CALIFORNIA through the democratic process
    HOW: Call: 916-445-2841
    Fax: 916-445-4633
    Email: http://www.govmail.ca.gov
    DO ALL THREE -- but most importantly CALL CALL CALL

6. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Arnold says he'll veto it :(

7. sholnay

sholnay New Member

the original article said he would veto it. its just not our time yet. :(

notice that no republicans in the state voted for it, not one =( oh well.

8. Wolf

:werd: it was to be expected.

He's trying to secure conservative backing for his 06 reelection campaign.

9. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

politics is such a lousy game. he says it's the will of the people but obviously it isn't the will of the people since it passed.

screw him. He's another tool for the republican party.

10. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

If it's the will of the majority, they can over ride his veto I beleive

11. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

or perhaps Arnold is following some misguided party line and is trying to stay in good terms with his wife's family.

12. Wolf

Doesn't matter what the people want. If they wanted slavery, it's not like it'd be reinstated.

13. bri1042

bri1042 New Member

Our system of government was set up not only to hear the will of the people but also to defend the minority view from the tyranny of the majority. Our voters, senators, governors, and presidants have forgotten this.

They knew it in the '60's when segregation was the subject of the day. Today, the minority knows tyranny.

Fuck the majority.

14. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Just an FYI, but just because he said he would veto doesn't mean he will.

Enough phone calls, letters and faxes will certainly hold some sway.

Make mention of the fact that you voted for him because he is a good change from past leadership and you hope he will continue to bring prosperity to California and keep it as one of the more open-minded states in the union.

I must have sent nearly a dozen letters to various representatives in my state when we tried to legalize marijuana a couple years ago.

15. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

Hoping the best for you Cali peeps. :hug:

The Governator should realize that legalizing will bring a lot of money to the state. I know lots of people who would relocate just so they could marry.