C6 Corvette Exposed - this time for REAL!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by troglodyte, Nov 18, 2003.

1. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it! I haven't like a Vette cince the mid 1960s, but this is an improvement on the urrent design.

2. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

Try using SEARCH!!!! :madfawk:

3. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Only red 'X's

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

5. careface

careface Active Member

wtf is with the viper air intakes

6. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

7. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

:fawk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imagestation in case you can't see Webrats

[​IMG]

8. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

what the hell... doesn't look all that different from the c5.

someone post a c5 with similar angled shots

9. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Not new ones. However, that new Solstice look badass! Pontiac makes the Solstice around 240hp, RWD, and under $25,000 to compete against the Miata and SRT-4, then the Solstice is kicking ass all over the place. I can't wait to see one in person.

1950s-1960s muscle and pony cars still rule though.

10. Possum Stomper

glad you realize that at least:big grin:

what is wrong with modern stuff exactly?

11. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Shoddy interior, fugly designs, and general poor fit-n-finish.

Shoddy interiors:

This has been a bane to GM for many many years. Even GM loyalists decry this about their cars. Lutz says that they have imporved (and GM has), yet their interior design and build still trails the rest of the world. I have even seen Korean cars with better interiors.

fugly designs:

ANY 1950s Caddy versus a modern Caddy - need I say more?

general poor fit-n-finish:

Paint fading and peeling, body panels falling off, interiors wasting away....

You take any American car built during America's heyday and you will see quality throughout. These cars still perfrom today, some 40+ years after being made. Compare a 1968 Firebird with a 1998 Firebird. '68 was well built and SOLID. The '98 is a fugly, fat, bloated placticized POS that deserved to be taken out of production.

I am not a domestic hater - I am really just a modern domestic hater. The US companies could and should do better. Right now, they just don't. However, I am eagerly awaiting the Solstice!

12. Possum Stomper

well if you think they are all ugly there isn't much that can be said in that regard to change your mind, but have you driven a 4th gen fbod? they're alot of fun and go like stink:)

as for pain't peeling and whatnot you usually see that in high mileage heavy use cars that aren't particularly well cared for don't you, regardless of make and model?

13. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

The GTO, Crossfire, C6, and Solstice are working to change my mind.

Ride like stink too. Yeah, wasn't hard getting it up to 130MPH at all. However, there is just something superior about a first generation Firebird, Mustang, Cougar, 1950s Caddy, of 1950s Muscle Car. too me, the classics have a soul to them while the modern ones are just inferior copies, poorly made, and lack any spirit to them whatsoever. However, I again mention the Solstice as I really really want to see this car. Under $25,000, RWD, 240hp, LSD and I would be damn interested!

Just personal experiece with what I have seen over the years - domestics (especially GM) tend to fade more and faster than imports. Now, a new coat of paint on a classic is something to behod - 1967 Camaro, baby blue with two white racing stripes, light blue interior. :drool:

14. Possum Stomper

bang
    for
    buck :bigthumb:

15. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

And you were still @ 30 mph from the top end, and it'll pull the whole way :)

Sadly they aren't around anymore... But there's hope that there may be a 2007 Camaro (gminsidenews.com). Til then, the Cobra has the "best bang for the buck" mantle *sigh*.

16. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

I'd still take a 1960s Firebird/Camaro though. Pure Sex IMO. The recent ones got too fat, too cheap, and too outdated. GM should have taken better care of these two nameplates. The C6 is new and Lutz wants to focus on Pontiac. Well, I think that having the Solstice as an intro roadster around $20,000USD and the GTO around $33,000USD leaves a gap that would be perfect for a new Firebird to fill around $27,000USD. The Solstice would be the finesse little car while the GTO would be their brute muscle leaving the Firebird to be a combination of the two - perhaps more of a track car.

I remember Trans Am racing and that American cars could still handle. But, for too long US cars became 1/4 queens and nothing else. Naturally, younger people wanted total performace and went after the cheaper imports. GM should make the new Camaro to compete against the 350Z, RX8/RX7, S2000, and if Toyota brings back the Supra.

Honestly, I always thought that the last generation RX7 would have made the perfect size for a modern Camaro. I also thought that GM should offer more engine choices and maybe even AWD as an option. I would love to have a car the size of the last RX7 with 400hp, 6-speed, and AWD. maybe Pontiac could offer such a model as a limited edition Trans Am?

Just musing....

17. Johnny*MacBlayze

Johnny*MacBlayze wassup? shut up!

nice acura rsx rims

18. Possum Stomper

a pony car should never, EVER be AWD

EVER

19. Adeilos

Adeilos Guest

looks nearly the same to me

20. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Why should a pony car never be AWD? :rolleyes: Be the best no matter what.

21. Possum Stomper

its blasphemy, and its not the point most of all

22. Fabian

Fabian Guest

I dont see this C6 lasting long...I think this is a transition phase, until a more radical style is born...Like when the C2 went to C3 and C4 from C3. BIG changes, and this C6 from the C5 just aint that big. Like it though!

23. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Making a pony car AWD is blasphemy? :rolleyes: This idea of never trying to be the best will forever keep the US behind.

24. Possum Stomper

you don't need AWD to be great

25. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

But its not blasphemy to try things that do make you better. I can't see AWD being a trurnoff for any potential buyer - be it a pony car or a Corvette. In fact, I would think a Vette with that much power (the new C6) and the option of AWD - now, thats Skyline GTR territory and ability. I, for pne, would love to see something like this.