C2D & DDR3 question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZCP M3, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I'm currently running 2x2GB DDR3-1066 chips in my C2D powered laptop. Because I use VM's often I was considering jumping up to 6GB (2GB + 4GB chips) as 2x4GB is still fuckin' expensive. Does DDR3 operate in dual-channel mode only with matched DIMM sizes or will it still be dual-channeled with 6GB installed?

It's been so long since I've fucked around with computer internals that I've forgotten this. :o

2. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Matched needed

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Make sure both the laptop and OS support that much ram as well.

4. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

This is actually going in a 13" MBP so the OS and the actual computer can handle the full 6 or 8GB. Figured I'd ask in the Windows subforum since performance crap like this is discussed more often. :o

Looks like I'm sticking with 4GB and picking up a X25M to drop in for added speed.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

The x25 will rock your world. They're ridiculously fast.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

OSX + an X25-M is insane. 4GB of ram is plenty for damn near anything still these days.

7. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I had the pleasure of playing with 4 X25E's in RAID 0 in my Mac Pro. Shit was almost too fast.

I have a 60GB OCZ Vertex Turbo but it's not being used in anything. Put it in the MBP but the EFI firmware issues caused it to fuck up so I pulled it out. Was gonna wait for the new 1.41 firmware from OCZ before I put it back in but it's been 3 months & counting since they released it for every SSD version except Turbo. :ugh2:

So the new plan is to buy a new X25M G2 now that most of the bugs are worked out, throw that in my laptop and once that Vertex Turbo firmware releases, buy a second one and run them in RAID 0 in my Mac Pro, replacing my single Velociraptor as the OS drive.

8. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Damn near anything unfortunately doesn't cover running ProEngineer analyses and MATLAB simulations in a Win7 VM with 2GB of RAM. :hsd: But since 4GB SODIMMs are so expensive I'll just improve the overall speed by making the pagefiles just as fast. :coold: