c2d build. v. my turn.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaIceMan, Dec 21, 2006.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

ok... thought I would throw out my wish list and let everyone shoot holes in it.

Antec P180 Black, $130
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811129017

PC Power & Cooling 610W PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817703005

Asus P5B Deluxe, $180
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131045

Intel E6300, $183 (maybe 6600, $309)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115005

Thermaltake 120mm CPU cooler, $56
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835106080

OCZ Platinum, 2x1GB, $240
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227139

Seagate 250gb, $75
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148142

XFX 8800GTS, $450 (maybe 8800GTX, $600)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150204

2x Pioneer DVD burners w/ DVD RAM, $65
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827129001

Logitech G15 keyboard and MX518 mouse, $110.

I'm still flipping around ideas on how I exactly want to go. 6300 vs 6600 and 8800GTS vs GTX. It really depends on how much I decide to spend on a monitor. As for the processor, I'm running an AMD 1.8ghz right now, so either will be an improvement. Video card, same deal. With what I'm running now, either card is far more than I'm used to.

Base price (no shipping, etc) for the system as spec'd is just under $1700. About $1800 with the 6600, and up to $2000 with the GTX. I really wanted to stay around $2000 with the monitor. I'm wanting to get AT LEAST a 20" widescreen possibly a 24" ws.

2. grandampc

grandampc OT Supporter

That is a list of crap. I say buy it all,and send it to me!

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Excellent.

You could probably spend the extra $35 bucks for the E6400, but other than
    that it's going to smoke.

As far as the graphics go, the GTS is so freaking fast that you need to be doing some pretty heavy duty gaming to need more than that.

4. Doc Brown

See now, I couldn't stand back and watch you suffer like that.

So ease your weary mind, and forward the GTS card to me.

5. grandampc

grandampc OT Supporter

A side note. DaIceMan is my bro, I had to say something, he already knows Im always jelous of his pc systems.

6. DaIceMan

Yeah... that's way too much machine for him anyway. ;)

7. Doc Brown

See, I knew that. [​IMG]

8. Wickedld9

Wickedld9 New Member

The GTS/GTX is good for him since it will probably be a LONG while before he upgrades it again. ;)

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've got the same board and ram, no problems, and I went E6600 and GTX. Whichever you pick, it will be smoking fast, but you really should spend the extra to get the E6600, the extra cache on it makes a big difference. As for video, the GTS is fast enough if you don't go to the 24" monitor. If you do get the 24" monitor, I'd strongly suggest the GTX so you can run games at the native resolution on that screen.

10. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Everything looks decent. As DAN said, if you can afford it, I would opt for the 6600 CPU. The only other thing is that as long as you are spending that much on a heatsink/fan for the CPU, I would recommend going with a Zalman unit, particularly the 7700-Cu 120mm. They are extremely quiet and cool very well. I've installed one in each of my PCs, and they have been great for me.

11. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

First, i'd go with the E6600. The extra L2 cache pays off and Toms Hardware has a good article on the fact that you need the best processor you can get your hands on to take advantage of the 8800 GTX.

If you're not getting a 680i motherboard then you won't be doing SLI with dual GTS/GTX. As that is the case you don't have ANY need for a PSU that size. For a single GTS/GTX you need nothing larger than 450 (although i'd reccomend 500-550 for future upgrading of the video card). My reccomendation is the Antec Neo Power 550.

Have you researched the P965 motherboards? They have the more advanced ICH8/ICH8r southbridge. I'd pay a visit to Toms and PCPerspective and get yourself up to date on 975x, P965, and i680.

Change your hard drive to the Seagate with the new perpindicular recording technology: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

I'd SERIOUSLY reccomend getting a Sceptre Gamer 22" widescreen LCD. The quality is amazing and it's getting great reviews across the net. It is also the ONLY widescreen monitor in its class (I believe both 20.1" and 22") with HDMI. With a 1200:1 contrast ratio and 300 lumens, you can't f'ing beat it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112005

If you go with the Sceptre Gamer 22", any other 22", or a 20.1" you won't need the GTX. A GTS will do fine for the resolution standard on the 22" and 20.1".

I've heard very bad things about Thermaltake. I would reccomend either the Scythe Ninja, Thermalright SI-128, Tuniq Tower, or Thermalright Ultra 120. The Ultra 120, if I recall correctly, has a backplate. With heatsinks this large and heavy, that isn't a minor feature.

Good choice on the case. You MIGHT consider replacing the fans, as i've heard some people complain about the air flow.

12. Tvan

Tvan New Member

That entire build looks very solid, and the hardware looks like it's together from what I can see. I agree with Tek's recommendation of picking up the E6600, becuase it is the absolute best bang-for-the-buck performance, and it looks like you aren't messing around.

I don't know much about C2D motherboards because I'm still rocking socket 939 in FX fashion, but even if you don't get one that's good for SLI make sure the power supply can do dual PCI-E power, because you need two of them for the GTS/GTX. You could convert from molex with a simple adapter, but I usually like to leave as much room for expansion as possible. The PC Power & Cooling might be overkill, but it's not like there's a bad side to having a psu that can handle expansion.

Also, that case door has an affinity for falling off. Check out Silverstone, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, and Lian-Li for other case ideas unless you're absolutely dead-set on it.

My recommendation is the Lian-Li PC-65B. I've built three computers (mine and two friends') in that case and it has been flawless each time. I think this is due to the removable motherboard tray, hd cage, and the copious amount of thumbscrews.

Just remember that that monitor probably supports HDMI 1.1 as opposed to the newly passed 1.3 that the PS3 and newer HDMI devices support. Although, the difference in bandwidth shouldn't be a big deal because that monitor can only do 720p at the absolute max.

A good bargain for a 20 inch widescreen is any of the models made by Viewsonic. The only reason that I didn't get one when I did my build over the summer is that the current model didn't offer any adjustability for height, and I wasn't sure if I was going to get around to getting a desk mount so I went with the Dell 2007FPW when it was on sale.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  13. DaIceMan

Thanks for the info all... hard drive, I thought I had selected the perp model. I'll fix that.

I'll take a look at the other recommendations before I pull the trigger... hopefully this week!

14. DaIceMan

well, things ended up changing some (as I knew they would) before I finally pulled the trigger on the new machine yesterday.

Antec Nine Hundred case (which I've already stripped down to custom paint).
    Silversone 850W PSU
    Asus P5N-E 650i SLI mobo
    Intel C2D E6600 proc
    Tuniq Tower cooler
    Corsair XMS2 2x1gb RAM (upgrade to 4 as need in the future).
    XFX 8800GTX video card (to SLi for future need)
    Seagate Barracuda 250GB HDD
    1 Pioneer DVD burner with DVD RAM
    1 Samsung DVD burner with DVD RAM
    Creative x-fi XtremeGamer 7.1 sound
    Logitech G11 KB and MX518 mouse.

I went with 2 burners for future knowledge. I often have people ask me what the best hardware is, and since the NEC burners have gone to shit, I wanted to try out 2 different brands so I will have personal knowledge of each.

As for the KB and Mouse. I would have gone with the G15, but a couple of my buddies have had a few problems with their LCDs, and I don't really like the idea of having the LCD shining at me all the time anyway. I took a look at the G5 mouse, and while I liked the feel of, I couldn't stand how hard it was to depress the center wheel (opening links in new tabs in FF, etc) so I stuck with the MX518 that has served me so well in the past.

Comments, good bad or otherwise welcomed.

15. thebox

thebox New Member

get a series 10 seagate hdd with 16mb cache

edit: and G5 mouse

16. DaIceMan

hdd, check.

mouse, learn to read.

17. thebox

thebox New Member

:o and it was right above my post...

18. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

that is a lot better of a build. P5N-E SLI is a great budget board :) I run mine 24/7 @ 500FSB 1:1 w/ my E6400 @ 3.5GHz.

19. DaIceMan

;) hiding in plain sight?

I don't plan to overclock mine... for the first 2 days. ;)

all the reviews I read on the board were good, and the price was nice.

20. thebox

thebox New Member

sounds awesome! if this was my build there are only 2 things i would change: zalman 9700 cpu cooler (because i have used one and it fucking rocks) and Asus for DVD burner/reader (because in my experience they are rock solid and i have never used samsung or poineer)

i only mention this because i am bored. your build will rock.

21. lowfat

His heatsink is far better than a 9700. There is no heatsink on the planet better than the one he is getting.

22. thebox

thebox New Member

meh. the 9700 is fantastic and i like the way it looks :dunno: just personal preferance :)

23. Doc Brown

Meh. There's what, one degree cooling difference between that style and
    the 7700 Zalmans?

The heatsink puts a more stress on the mobo when it sticks out that far,
    plus it's more likely to be in the way of wires that way.

I have to admit, they do look pretty cool though.

24. lowfat

Maybe when the CPU is stock the difference is nil, but when more voltage is added, the difference is huge.

25. DaIceMan

I actually like the looks of the Tuniq Tower better than the Zalmans... and I think the midship fan is cool, no pun intended.