C# vs. C++ vs. Flex/AS/AIR

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supergeek, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

I've been thinking more and more about getting into game development, and I'm considering the 3 options listed above.

I want to do networked games. I want to do something I can as a solo developer. I want to do 3D (yes, I know 3D development has very hefty requirements, traditionally, but I'm leaning towards procedurally-generated content to help with that workload.)

C#: Seems easier than C++, but considering the dearth of C# books on Amazon from 2009, I'm leary of investing my time into a language that may not have much of a future.

C++: Seems the best for performance and 3D since I believe all major games are written in C++. However, this is also the language that would have the steepest learning curve and take the longest to develop games in.

Flex/AIR/ActionScript: Lowest learning curve, but terrible performance. 3D is mostly nonexistant, and performs terribly even on good machines. Biggest potential market.

If anyone who has developed any games in any or all of these languages could speak up, I would love to hear from you.

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

C++ is guaranteed to give you the grounding you need to become a good programmer... I refuse to make the same statement for any other language besides C/C++ and assembly. The higher level you go, with the more abstraction between the compiler/interpreter and the processor instructions, the worse the language is for LEARNING... but (perhaps, in some cases) the better it is for completing something quickly.

As far as game development in particular, almost all commercial engines are built with C/C++ because it is fast as fuck. You will not get any faster unless you torture yourself and write in straight assembly (assuming you are smarter than the C compiler in terms of optimization)

I used to be a hobbyist game developer. I had, before I started working full time, gotten my toes wet with 3D rendering in code using Direct3D and OpenGL. I'll be happy to help you get started, I still have code and stuff even (in C++)

3. ge0

ge0 New Member

plus almost all game libs are written in c++

4. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

I've goofed around with C++. Straight-up procedural programming isn't that bad (I did some C programming back in the 80's and early 90's, very simple stuff), but OOP still throws me for a loop. I got a ton of ebooks on C++ programming, I guess I can start there. If you have any specific recommendations on books, fire away. Memory management kind of scares me.

Thanks for the input.

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

OO is nice, and very useful if you can use it... it is never necessary though, it just makes things easier and better organized.

I personally don't learn from books, I learn by writing code, but maybe someone else can give you some. As an aside I also taught myself about processor architecture and instruction sets, and how assembly language is built into machine language, and all that stuff that is the foundation of all programming. Knowing that, you don't need to learn from a book, you can learn by experience much more quickly. However, lacking that base knowledge I wouldn't recommend it, you will get "stuck" a lot and not be able to figure out the problem. If I can't figure out why something isn't working the way I think it should I look at the assembly that the compiler produces and using that, along with my knowledge of the processors instruction set and architecture, can almost always figure it out.

6. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Depends what platform you're looking for. Flash for small simple web stuff.

If you want to get serious, C++ but you really have to learn it and be committed.

If you don't know any programming maybe start with C# and XNA as XNA will give you tons of examples and rewritten code.