GUN C&R Guys - selling guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by H.P., Nov 26, 2007.

1. H.P.

H.P. Guest

I'm in the process of completing the paperwork for my C&R License and had a question someone here with a C&R may be able to answer.

I have a few friends (all have current and valid FOID cards) that would like something like a Mosin. Does anyone know the regulations for me selling guns to them? Is it a state by state rule?

From what I have read up on, I can legally sell them rifles as long as it is noted in my bound book. Is there any more regulations I need to follow? No need for the ATF to be on me for fucking something up. Thanks.

2. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

The C&R license is not a license to sell and deal in firearms. You're not "suppose" to receive guns in the mail, just to turn them over in a sale to friends or others.

3. H.P.

H.P. Guest

This I understand. However, I was under the impression that I could legally transfer the gun to them though.

Almost seems like too much trouble. I may as well just tell them to find their own.

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

You can sell guns from your C&R collection every now and then, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. If you log it in the bound book and turn around and sell it 2 days later, you'll be majorly fucked with the ATF if you ever get inspected (which isn't likely).

I'd tell them to just buy their own.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its all federal, the c&r is a license for you to collect guns. You may not use it to acquire them for friends, you'd need a dealers license for that. You can sell your guns, but you can't run a business with it. You may get inspected, when you renew your license the atf asks how many guns you bought and how many you sold, and your bound book will have a record of every gun and its acquisition and date of sale. If you get 3 mosin's in and immediately log them out to 3 more people I think thats going to raise some eyebrows too. In short, its not legal to buy guns for friends even though you can sell from your collection.

I'd tell them to spend the $30 and get their own c&r, the discounts from brownells and midway alone are worth it.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Once in awhile thing is ok, dont make a habit out of it and I wouldnt do a bunch of guns at once, I've done it a few times usually with cheap things some of the mosins, yugo sks's, I'd order 3 pick out the best one and sell the other 2 at cost to friends.

7. SNDP

SNDP New Member

C&R is for YOU to collect. What you are describing could land you in the clink as straw sale or cost you 5 digits of cash trying to prove it wasn't.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

how much is a dealers ffl?

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You can only get a 01 ffl if you're in business. This includes your location being zoned for business.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i may be wrong, or maybe they're not staying legal... But I've heard of people doing basic start-up work out of their garage. Not kosher?

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

It is as long as you're running a real business and your property isn't zoned in a way that would forbid that. If you live out in the country it might be a possiblilty as long as its going to be a real business, you'll have a business license, file taxes, etc.

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

like everyone else here has said, what you are talking about is a bad idea. While you may never get caught, there still is a risk. A C&R is simply for you to collect, that is not to say that you could not behave as any person can and from time to time sell a single firearm in a FTF transaction. However that would be something like you sold the gun because you were financing another purchase or had a better example of said weapon in your collect. In those events the gun would have been in your possession for months or years, not days or hours.

cliffs: its a bad idea even if you never get caught, you can still sell a gun off as a regular person can but that is it, buying and then selling soon could be considered dealing.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think its a bit more relaxed than that. Legally there should be no problem with me ordering say 3 guns, keeping the best, and selling the other 2 immediately. You're bulding your collection. If you log in 3 guns and log them all right back out I think thats going to be more likely to raise eyebrows and you might be more likely to have to defend your actions. Obviously if you make a significant portion of your income from selling your c&r's you're going to have problems. Past that it probably just becomes an issue of how suspicious your actions look and how much you feel like dealing with the hassle of defending them.

14. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Straw purchase >> Illegal
    Reselling guns directly after buying them / No class III FFL / >> Illegal

15. H.P.

H.P. Guest

Thanks for the input guys. I should have clarified, but basically, I would do as TL1000 said if I did anything. Sounds like it could be a hassle though, so I'm just going to tell my friends to get their own licenses

16. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

$10/year isn't a bad deal considering all you have to do is fill out some forms and send them in. The money you save on the first buy will cover that alone.

17. Gimik

Gimik New Member

how does a regular FFL work then? I'm not sure which FFL it is, but I have a friend who can transfer weapons for me and owns several MP5s, but he runs out of his house.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If he's doing it from home the area he is in is either zoned for more then residential or he's had since before they changed around their rules for issuing them.

19. Gimik

Gimik New Member

ah maybe that's it. he's an older guy and has been doing it for a while. he's definitely not zoned for business though. it's a super upper-class housing area.

20. GTP

GTP New Member

Well, one way Canadian firearms laws are better...I can buy/sell mosins at will...there is no limit and no time limits

21. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I don't think you would get in trouble for selling a couple rifles to people who are legal to own, but it is so easy to get a curio, tell the other people to get their own Curio FFL.