C++ question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shibboleth, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

Alright, let me try to translate from the C++ floating in my brain to english. I'm trying to parse a struct as is would appear in C++:
    Code:
      struct myStruct {
      	int a;
      	DWORD b;
      	BYTE c[4];
      	struct SomeOtherStruct;
      };
    After I parse the struct I want to create a mirrored struct in memory. Then I'll start putting values in the struct based on a pointer or something. Anyway, my questio is this: What is the most effective way to automatically create the data type parsed from the struct? What I have so far is a union:
    Code:
    union dataTypes {
      	BYTE data[8];
      	bool bType;
      	unsigned int uiType;
      	int iType;
      	BYTE byType;
      	CHAR cType;;
      	WORD wType;
      	short sType;
      	DWORD dwType;
      	long lType;
      	float fType;
      	double dType;
     };
    I then do a ReadProcessMemory to the data array (8 being the most bytes I would need to read ). What I can then do is have a long if/else chain that stricmps the data type it parses (say it's a "DWORD") and once it figures that out it'll do a ultoa(union.dwType,szLine,16); and return that string to get the data. However, I find this very ineffective. These stricmp chains are rediculous, and I can't possibly counter for every typedef'd unsigned this or pointer that. So I ask, is there another way? Any help would be appreciated

2. KRYST!

KRYST! wat

I've interfaced with RS-232 ports with C++, created large scalable C++ systems and in general have a good understanding of the language.

What you said there lost me. Sorry :(

3. kosstamogen

kosstamogen New Member

The crazy assignments they give students these days eh? I saw this other java thread talking about printing out the lyrics of a song... I thought to myself this assignment is:hs: :slap:

This may be completely out of scope to what you're asking but what you are describing seems to be a VARIANT type. Its a union of a bunch of other types. Probably dosen't help, and having a hard time understanding your question.

4. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

It's not an assignment, just something I'm trying to build to make my life easier. I'll look in to VARIANT, but if I could, might I PM you and try to explain better? Thanks for the help.