C++ question v. templates

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CaseLogic, Feb 27, 2005.

1. CaseLogic

CaseLogic Longhorns - Mavs - Cowboys - Tool - 24 - Lost - Th

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Well, I'm not so good at templates, but from what I can see, the function prototype has one return value and you're trying to use two return values. I mean, the function prototype is
    Code:
    R<T> Generate();
    and you're trying to do
    Code:
    R<long long> x = Generate();
    That's why you're getting an error, because the function call doesn't match the function prototype. Try just doing
    Code:
    R<long> x = Generate();
    EDIT: You know what... Looking at the code again, you're gonna have to change the function prototype. You've got the function returning two values, but you're only defining one return type. It would probably be easier if you posted the function that was provided before you "templatize" it.

Like I said, I'm not so good at templates, but the way those are written look different than the way I've seen them...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

since Generate is a template function, you have to specify what type it's going to work with.

R<TYPE> x = Generate<TYPE>();

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

long long is the typename for a 64-bit integer.

5. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Ah, never heard of them before, I guess... :dunno:

6. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

You know what confuses me a little about this segment of code is the way it's written. All the sample code I've seen for templates are written differently. For example:
    Code:
    template <typename T>
    R<T> Generate();

I don't understand what the R<T> is there for. Every implementation of templates I've seen would have it written as:
    Code:
    template <typename T>
    T Generate();

T being the return type.

And then, at the end of the function:
    Code:
    return R(x, y);

I don't get what this is supposed to be returning. What does the R signify, and what are x and y supposed to be? I see x being defined locally as type T, but y doesn't seem to be defined anywhere. It's not coming in as a parameter, and it's not declared locally. Also, what is this line supposed to do:
    Code:
    T x = (T)rand() % 10, y;	//This range is small to avoid overflow

I'm not trying to be critical or anything. I'm mainly asking these questions to help myself get a better understanding of templates, because we use them a lot at work. I haven't had to actually deal with them myself just yet, but I know there in our code and I'll have to deal with them eventually.

7. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

I think R is a templated class. The Generate function returns an instance of R, and the last line probably needs to be return R<T>(x,y);