C++ game development

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience in this?

I took a C++ course last year but it was just the basic math operations in DOS, some nested conditional statements and sub routines.

I've got an excellent understanding of how computer programming works, I know quite a few languages but am not experienced at all in C++.

Could anyone supply me with some game source code to let me know what I want to get in to?

2. BaZ

BaZ 2004 ACC Champions

LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

take a few years to learn the basics then move to advanced driver and graphics code and then you can start to think about it

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Baz: You're lack of support amazes me...

Tk: I personally think it competely depends on what your learning style is. I kinda had an urge to get into game development, but there's a lot going and I felt I was more of a hardware guy so I started focusing in on serial and parallel ports.

Granted, I hadn't had a C/C++ class yet, but I figured to learn C/C++, I could get some basic C/C++ do-it-yourself books. Once I got past those (which it sounds like you are), I then homed in on some hardware programming books. I found a serial book and worked off of that and I found an electronics book which talked about the parallel port and had some code snippets in there. All in all, the books all helped provide me a foundation to build from. This was back before the days of Mosaic v1 so the times have changed a bit.

I do know there's some game development books out on shelves right now. I might recommend thumbing through some books and see which ones cater to your development style and learning curve. Also you will want to see which approaches they use (such as which libraries are they taking advantage of and are those the libraries you want to learn).

Basically, do some research and just start writing code. At this time, who cares if its the fastest or the coolest - as long as you're writing code, you're learning and gaining experience which will help you improve (assuming this style of learning works for you - this is what works for me).

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Exactly. Code some small games using DOS as your interface. Even though it may not be the style of game development you're hoping for, it's a start. Doing something basic will get your mind started with thinking through the logic of game development. As Astro said, there are plenty of books discussing game development with C++. Pick one up and have fun with it. I'd love to see what you come up with. :)

5. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

thanks for the help / support guys ( -BaZ anyway :fawk: ) :big grin:

i just need to get an idea together for what i want to do the rest of my life. ive been in the IT world since July last year and i dont really think this is my style. i dont mind it or anything, but i'd like to be programming software / games that consumers will use, not just plant employees.