c corrupt

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChaosTheory, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

ok well today i was trying to use my laptop running vista, as a dvd player and plugged it using svideo into my tv, but what has sometime shappened before is that after im done the screen may go black and i have to restart and do a systme restore. everytime i plug the cable in the screen resolution changes, and afterwards i cant restore it, most of the time, back to a normal resolution, it alwasy gives me either really wide resolutions or more square like 800 by 600 and i need 1280 by 800. so this will sometime cause the screen to black out. i forgot about this happening before so i didnt even think about it today. well now i cant do a system restore because it says c is corrupt and it cant check for errors since its using it. it would only get to the loading screen on vista before it blacked out but i could still hear it. so i went to safe mode and ran ccleaner to remove all the corrupted registry files, and reinstalled the video card drivers. after i restarted the resolution was back to normal, but like i knew would happen when deleting the drivers, is the my synaptics touchpad enhancements or something like that has stopped working. c is also still corrupt so i cant restore. so im wondering is there anything i can do to fix my c drive or find out what exactly is wrong with it. i really dont want to lose all my data, i could back most of it up but still. any help is GREATLY appreciated.

im going to try restoring my registry entries to get the touchpad to work again because i didnt think to restart after i rolled back and updated the drivers for the video card, but it wont really matter since c is still corrupt

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow, you really fucked up your system. I recommend you stop using computers until you can learn that if you don't know what the fuck you're doing, don't do it.

I mean it was obviously broken. Hey, it happens. But why didn't you seek help then? Now you've broken something that was already broken and who knows how fucked up it is?

Reformat and don't be so gun-ho next time.

3. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

what are you talking about? it broke because of the video card im guessing not supporting the resolution it was trying to run. i fixed it and got it to run again and the sacrifice of the touchpad enhancements. now i even have that fixed, everything seems to be working fine except i cant restore because the c is corrupt. everything but that seems to work. so how did i break something even more? i knew the touchpad enhancements aka the scrolling on the side, would stop but figured deleting the corrupted files may help, apparently not.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Laptops aren't built like desktops. Shit isn't just thrown together. The video card in your laptop wouldn't have been chosen if it couldn't run at your screen's native resolution. Most likely your video drivers were never installed correctly, and that's why the machine kept crashing when you watched DVDs. After enough crashes and system restores, little pointless errors on the hard drive built up enough that they couldn't be automatically repaired.

In any event, your system is fucked. Copy your data off it and send it back for warranty service.

5. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

i just figured that because the resolutions it let me choose werent normal ones i had and it would show in the picture super wide, and they were always wierd after plugging it to the tv.

6. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

wouldnt reformatting fix the problem as well or no? just dont feel like wasting time dealing with sending it in even though its still under warranty

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

If you have a full installation CD for an operating system (NOT the restore disc that comes with the laptop) then yes all you need to do is go and reinstall the OS. However, you will then need to find and install appropriate drivers for your hardware.

Tell us the specific make/model of the laptop and we may be able to help you with that.

...and don't listen to P07 he is just a dick

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

oh yes, by all means keep doing what you're doing... that way you machine gets even MORE fucked up :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

While your advice may have been sound your method of presenting it will do nothing but make people ignore and or resent you.

Good advice means nothing if no one is going to take it from you.

10. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

its a HP tx1000z running vista ultimate 64 bit.anyone know the usual turn around time is for warranties. because i need this laptop for school even though i could get by for a while on the desktop. thanks for your help

11. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

i still fail to see what i fucked up even more? Vista took a shit like usual, i did what i could to fix it. I would have waited and emailed hp and waited a few days except i have a VERY important philosophy essay on my laptop that i cannot access any whereelse. im willing to take a risk on attempting to fix it then fail my fucking class. booting in safe mode and reinstalling drivers isnt going to fuck it up any more.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I am not surprised. This is why you are dangerous -- you don't know what you're doing, so you don't know when you mess up. Then you try 11ty things after your fuckup which makes it harder to later identify WHAT went wrong, and even more difficult to fix. Generally people like you will take a small problem and turn it into several small problems that become interlinked to one big mess.

The only people blaming vista are the ones who are to blame, themselves, and they are using vista as a scapegoat.

No, you did what you could to fuck it up. You wrote down everything you thought you knew -- even though you really don't understand the problem or how to correctly troubleshoot -- and started running down the list figuring that "something" would work.

Well when you say it simple like that, no, it won't fuck it up. But lets come back to the real world for a moment... You're actually saying that YOU will be installing them. You've already fucked it up. So there may be further complications.

Right off the bat, I will tell you that this sentence made me roll my eyes. You do a fucking system restore? That is how I know YOU are the problem.

And you have the TV unplugged and any function-keys set to LCD-only, correct???? (hint) (hint)

Well shit, sherlock... Used system restore one to many times? It's not designed for this.

What the FUCK? You started running ccleaner? Not a good idea on any machine... Especially not when all you're trying to do is change screen res.

Or something? If you can't articulate what's going on, how are you going to fix it? Don't randomly run "tools" -- especially when they claim to "restore" or otherwise "clean" things like drivers and the registry.

This is a good thing, honestly, at this point... You need to learn some time... Might as well be now. System restore is NOT the answer for these problems.

This is the kind of post that you make BEFORE you fuck with shit. Had you not fucked your machine up I would feel comfortable helping you recover. However, at this point, the damage is done. Backup your documents, re-format, re-install.

Yea I'd recommend against that.

13. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

in a strange turn of events, i'm actually agreeing with potroast though i certainly wouldn't come across so harsh.

chaos, your description of the problem and then your logic for the steps you chose to take to fix the problem don't really make sense.
    1. sending your display to an external device sometimes causes your system to hang. then on a forced reboot you have to do a system restore. are you initiating the system restore or is it automatic?
    2. forcing the reboot means that you are power cycling the system with the filesystem most likely being in an inconsistent state. once or twice and you probably will probably luck out and not have serious damage to the filesystem. if you force reboot on a regular occasion, you can pretty much guarantee you're going to run into some sort of problem.
    3. you ran ccleaner without really understanding the consequences which most likely caused your problems with the other apps.

this sounds like a case where someone who knew enough to be dangerous started trying to fix his own issues and caused it to escalate beyond belief. you are probably past the point where people here could help you over a forum.

14. deusexaethera

Since theis thread is already full of giggles and bubblegum, I'd like to know why you think you need a laptop for school. I got my engineering degree using an old eMachine desktop and a spiral notebook. A laptop in class is just a liability; if a notebook falls off the desk, you pick it up; if a laptop falls off the desk, you lose a semester's worth of work and look like an idiot in the process.

15. deusexaethera

I've told him that dozens of times in the past. He's more concerned with being right than with being listened to. He must think we're his employees and we're somehow obligated to defer to his knowledge no matter how big an asshole he is.

16. deusexaethera

Vitriol aside, he's right about this. You know enough to be dangerous -- things like this are where that expression came from. It's not your fault, per se; it's human nature to not notice what doesn't exist (in this case, the expert knowledge you don't have). You just need to learn to not touch anything unless you're certain it will work, or at least that it can't possibly screw up anything. The cautious approach takes longer, but it's less likely to cause a critical failure like what you've got now.

That's not really fair; we all know Vista is still suffering from driver incompatibility issues; it's entirely possible the laptop manufacturer didn't test the drivers using the video setup he's trying to use.

No, it's not designed for repeated bailouts. System Restore is like a shot of penicillin -- it'll kill millions of germs on contact, and it'll kill millions of your cells on contact too. Repeated use results in death.

Yeah, never ever use an automated registry cleaner. It's one thing to use a registry cleaner to identify possible problems, like old references to DLLs that no longer exist, but you must always choose a solution for each problem manually.

Yep, that pretty much where I am too. There's no telling how much stuff is fucked at this point.

17. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I agree with the notion that at this point, get out the restore discs that came with the laptop and wipe it clean and start fresh (backing up all of your data first of course).

And I'm have a question, when you would plu/unplug your laptop to/from the TV, did you use the function key (Fn + F4)?

EDIT: Also, make sure you have the recent video drivers and that they are for Vista 64

18. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

i'll admit i fucked up, and i just tried what i thought would fix it. you keep attacking me. from your very first post. you make good points and obviously know much more than me about it but why be such an asshole about it. it's not like i fucked up anybody else's computer, its mine, my problem, im asking for help.

All i did was roll back the drivers and then updated them. i didnt search online for new ones and install it myself.

When i had to do a system restore before there were more problems then just the screen resolution, usually just a restart fixed it, i just dont remember what else was wrong.

i dont understand what you mean about this, i havent touched anything with it

well now i know, but i still have no clue why your so pissed, i only fucked up my computer, nobody elses.

i wasnt running ccleaner to try to fix the screen resolution, i was doing it because it said C had errors, and i know there were errors in the registry from running ccleaner before.
    the "or something" is just saying i dont remember the exact name of the application that fails. i know what it does, it happened before when i tried using ccleaner, and i've never used it since then. it made a backup before and i reloaded it and fixed the problems.

why? im just restoring the registry to exactly how it was before it failed.

im sure you have a lot more smart ass comments about what i just said is probably wrong and could fuck it up more. im listening to you, i dont want it to happen again, so can you stop being such an asshole about it. lesson learned.

no i never did that, i tried it now and im thinking fuck.:hsugh:. ya im going to restore it, and no im not actually doing it, somebody else is that i know. the laptop came with a recovery disk as well as drive just for recover on here. how can i make sure the recover drive isnt corrupt, im unsure how to check. otherwise i will need to use the cd. Will that have all the drivers and everything i need on it?

i dont need the laptop in class, but i do need it to do homework on, aka essays, emailing proffessors with homework, turning in homework. most of that can be done on another computer but i really need it because my programs for computer programming(java) are on here, and would really be a pain to use another computer for.

trouphaz, no the restore i initalized not automatically. the only way i knew how to get it to reboot was pulling the batter, i really didnt want to do it but it was the only thing i could think of to get it to restart since nothing on the screen was showing up.

19. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

wow,... look at all those quotes

20. dissonance

First off, you're going to get flamed so don't bother arguing back, just look at what they had to say and move on...

My work laptop will not display anything on its screen after I unplug external monitor/projector/etc until I hit that button. The computer knows when a video cable is plugged in better than when it is unplugged, that's why you were able to hook up the TV/etc and not have to worry about it.

Make sure the person who is restoring the computer for you backs up all of your shit. Then have them reformat the drives and reinstall windows. You're restore discs should come with all the drivers/etc that your computer needs. After this is done also have them check to see if there are new drivers out there. If there are have the person uninstall the installed drivers and install the new ones. (You will need to reinstall all of your programs/etc again so make sure to have the discs and time to do that as well)

21. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

your talking about all my files like pictures, music, all that right, or an actual backup of everything? i know im going to get flamed. i already agreed that there right and i fucked up, all i ask is to stop being attacked by potroast. i already acknowleged he was right and if my arguments in my last post are wrong i want to know why so i dont fuck up again, but i dont need to get flamed doing so.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes your documents/pictures/music.

not the apps/os.

23. dissonance

:werd:

Reformatting will wipe everything... so backup everything. There is no point in backing up programs as they will need to be reinstalled anyway, only backup the install files if they were downloads.

I went over to my parents house yesterday for dinner.... mmmmm, had some tasty pot roast and taters and carrots. Of course plenty of gravy....

24. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

lol, ya ok thats what i figured, im just going to transfer all of it to a portable hard drive, but i wasnt sure if there was a way to actually transfer back some programs, didnt think so but would be nice lol. and thank you potroast.

25. deusexaethera

What's taters, precious?