A&P c&c some newborn shots please!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Kamekaze v.OT, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  2. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

#1, #2, and #4 are weird perspectives...and #1 looks morbid (it's a really weird and off-putting perspective). Lighting is a bit harsh and the dry scalp is distracting.

On #2, my eye is drawn to the shoulder strap, not where the focus should be.

Out of the four, I like #3 the best, but the focus in on the thumb and the lint on it. Also, I'd make sure no jewelry, especially the gold since it's bright and distracting.

Sorry, don't mean to rip the pictures apart, just giving my honest assessment. I'm doing some maternity stuff on Sunday so I'll post and you can rip my pictures apart.

3. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

No worries, I asked for it and appreciate it.

4. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

NP...congratulations btw on whoever's baby that is (a relative?)!

I assume you're using your buddy's light setup? What was your setup just out of curiosity?

5. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

1 softbox at 45 degrees. Its somebody I know from works kid, they wanted something before she was a year old but couldn't afford a pro or the crazy mall prices. I dont know if I'm scurred or still hung up on the one light video but I only ever take one light out of the box...

6. johan

johan Active Member

#1 makes me a little uncomfortable. Has a bit too much 'crime scene' feel to it.

Its a combination of the perspective, and the defocussed stare.

7. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Ah cool...ya, you can do a lot with just one light.

Yup, that's what I meant by morbid. Hate even mentioning it or the thought of it, but that's what I got too.

8. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Make them all just a little cooler or bump up the cyan, but I think they are fine for newborn photos. Parents will love them.

BTW guys, newborns can often look odd/creepy.

9. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

All the studios my wife has taken our daughter to have only used a single softbox as well.

She's finally given up and just lets me take the photos because its expensive, annoying when your paying and the baby don't wanna pose, and I have all the time in the world to wait for the right moment.

Still now that she walks its very hard to get her to stay under the lights :noes:

10. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

That's like saying people can look fat. Of course they can and are (in some cases), but it's the job of the photographer to make everyone/everything as pleasing as possible, which is a result of composition and posing.

I absolutely love newborns, children, and people, so don't take anything I'm saying the wrong way. However, with a newborn, they are extremely maneuverable for obvious reasons...the 'odd/creepy' look isn't just a part and necessary evil of taking newborn shots if you do it right (not saying I can do it correctly either).

11. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

added a few more

12. Enigma

Enigma New Member

I agree with everything Idyfohu has said in this thread. I'm not amazing at newborn shots either, but I wouldn't say these are 'fine for newborn photos'. They kinda remind me of my first attempt at taking pictures of my own newborn son w/ my strobe.. I had no clue how to pose him or wtf to do and you could tell from the shot (below). He's not posed or anything, just laying there thinking 'wtf is going on' and 'look at my shoulder, it looks like it's dislocated or something'.

[​IMG]

We've got another on the way and have several friends expecting though so I'm going to have to get my isht together and figure it out soon. It does take a while, I'd say, to get the hang of posing newborns and figuring out what looks good, what doesn't, etc. I've seen some killer images from Kelley Ryden (thx Girth) and Beth Jansen that are pretty inspiring if you are hoping to get into some newborn stuff. Seems that a lot of newborn photogs shoot wide open (or close to it) using natural light.

Anyway, I think Idyfohu has the critique covered in his first post.

13. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

looks too tense in the last two, no one likes a scared baby. but the others are great. :cool:

14. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

IMO.. the lights to harsh. newborns need nice soft lighting, and I'm just not seeing that here.