C/C++ Query.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Bastard, Sep 26, 2003.

1. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

I'm interested in picking up this language as more and more job postings make it a requisite. Is there a similiar language that may perhaps introduce me to the fundamentals of C/C++, a derivative? I think for myself atleast, going straight into C/C++ is far too daunting so another lesser of a language may break me in more gently, if you will. Something that covers the syntax or similar structure and share some commonality.

Recommendations on books is encouraged.

:) Thanks

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Do you have any prior programming experience at all?

I would head into C. Learn that. Then start learning C++ and the Object Oriented Side.

3. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

4. dingo

dingo Ron Paul 2008

I use DevC++, it's free and actually quite ingenuitive: http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

For tutorials, go to www.gametutorials.com (don't let the name fool you), I've been going through their C++ tutorials for about a week now, and all i have to say is :eek3: They are quite badass there (There forum is really handy too if you have *any* questions)

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Just jump into it. If you have previous Java experience, you'll be able to understand C++ with some time.

6. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Atually that is perfect, as game programming is the reason why I want to learn C/C++.

7. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

I've heard that Java is similar to C++ but a little easier. I don't actually know any Java, however, so I can't confirm or deny this.

8. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Just jump right into C++. Don't worry about OOP to start with, but don't bother learning C as a lot of it's functions are depreciated and much easier to accomplish in C++.

String handling being the obvious, easy one to point to.

Java and C++ are similar enough that if you're fairly adept in one you can start programming in the other and just go by what the compiler tells you is wrong. There are some significant differences though. Java lacks simple keyboard IO, for example.

I would recommend going to your local college bookstore and getting a copy of Gaddis's Starting out in C++. Great text, simple to follow, and includes student versions of both Visual C++ and Borland's compiler.

9. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

In conclusion, just do it.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Nike

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Also, PHP experience will help, since PHP syntax is based on C syntax.