A&P C&C my photo pwease =)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Nov 6, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

[​IMG]

That's not the final result, that's just a preview/rough draft of what I can expect when I re-attempt it on film. The final result will be black and white 3200 ISO film. And before anybody goes "ZOMG NIKON NOISE WTF HALP," I purposely turned the ISO all the way up on my D80 so I can know what to expect when I develop the film. =p

Things I'm thinking about changing in the film version:

-Getting rid of the sleeves on the arms (barely noticable but still)
    -Different angle
    -Spreading fingers apart slightly

2. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

i think the angle is fine, but i would loose the sleeves, and not so much spread the fingers, just loosen them up a little.

fix whatever denim is on the far right there.

if this is going to film i wont mention the B&W conversion

3. aCab

aCab New Member

looks like someone is displaying some :wackit: juice :dunno:

4. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

What's in the middle?

5. kristin

kristin my dog > *

. It looks kind of like a sperm :rofl:

6. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Haha, this is so interesting to me. Like half the people I show this to immediately realize it's a flame in the middle, the other half have no idea what it is. :rofl:

Of course since I set the pic up, I know exactly what it is. But it's nice to know that my viewers might not get what's going on. Since I doubt the flame is going to do the same thing twice, the film version might have a less sperm-like appearance lol.

Anyway thanks for the inputs.

7. kristin

kristin my dog > *

:rofl:

How did you set up a flame in your hand? :eek3:

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

i thought it was the insides from a glowstick being poured on the hands :dunno:

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

get a girl with nice hands.

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

my nikon noise, let me show you them.

11. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

:rofl:, wow, it does look like glow stick ooze now that you mention it. Anyway those aren't my own hands. They're my father's. Mine are young and boring. His are old and weathered. A girl's hands might have been a nice touch actually. Maybe I'll get a few of those and see how that looks. I just think I'll like the rougher wrinkly look better for black and white. :dunno:

Kristin, it was actually quite a simple set up. I just wedged a match between my dad's hands and made sure the match was pointing straight at the lens so the stick wouldn't show. I then lit it with a second match and took the pic.

(To be technical, I actually had to make sure I took the pic rather quickly while the match was still igniting. If I took the pic later, while the match was simply burning, then the match head becomes visible. Plus the flame is less active and more boring.)

12. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

very cool shot and idea.

let us see the final film version

13. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

^ Thanks and will do. I'm making prints tomorrow so I'll get back to you guys then. Unfrotunately I don't have a scanner, so I'll just have to take a pic of the pic. :uh:

14. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

:o

15. kristin

kristin my dog > *

:coold: Cool idea.

I definitely think the older hands will look much better than a girl's hands, especially since you said you were going for the grain and suck. Grain would look funny on such smooth skin, but on your dad's skin, it really goes well ;)

16. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

You need something to separate the flame from his hands ... it looks flat and the flame looks like it is pouring out of his sheaves into his hands

Maybe a smaller DOF :dunno: Or try burning different things to get a different flame (just to add a little colour layers in the flame)

17. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

pretty neat

18. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Here is the final print. Sorry I just had to take a pic of the print since I don't have a scanner. >.< And I suck at taking pics of glossy pics, so I had to take it at an angle so the flash wouldn't glare big time.

[​IMG]

Anyway, the results are pretty good IMO. My contact sheet is filled with slight variations of the pic, but this was the one I liked best. I tried a few different angles but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I tried to address all the suggestions given. Like tristyle said, I loosened the hands up slightly (my dad's hands are like rough leather lol, I did what I could), made sure there was no denim/sleeves/distractions.

I too noticed what Cobber noticed, that it seemed a bit too flat. Although I wasn't about to fool around with burning/dodging the flame to try and get some separation (I burned and dodged the hell out of my last assignment and I won't be doing that again lol), I did try to get the picture at a lower angle so the hands didn't seem so flat. I think I succeeded there somewhat. Plus the way the fingers are lit up more than the palms kind of shows some depth.

Also, the lighting seems less harsh on the hands this time around which I like. It actually looks more like candle light.

Anyhoo, so yeah there it is. Show's over, move along. :)

It still came out looking like sperm though :rofl:

19. Suazo

Suazo New Member

looks good

20. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Now to derail my own thread. Could you elaborate on this? I didn't convert, I just set the D80 to B/W mode.

I assume you're talking about how like in Photoshop you can simply desaturate a picture or you can adjust the RGB channels individually to get "better" effects. I guess the B/W mode of the D80 simply takes desaturated pics?

Anyway when placed side by side, I can see the difference in a picture just desaturated and one that was DIY black and white. But if I saw a BW picture by itself I would have no idea whether or not it was desaturated or DIY. How can you tell?

21. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

It looks a little flat. There are many many ways to get a nice B&W white conversion in Photoshop. What version are you running? Greg Gorman has a great technique but it is very detailed. In CS2 a quick way that would usually work out nice is the Channel Mixer then adjust the curves. In CS3 there is a really handy B&W conversion tool that produces excellent results as long as you know what you are doing with it.

For future reference i would NEVER shoot in any kind of mode like that in the camera. That is a very easy post processing effect, so just shoot your color RAW or .jpg and worry about the effects later on.

22. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Ah, I see. I use CS3.

And yeah, if I ever wanted some black and white digital pics, I definately wouldn't use the camera either. 1) It limits myself by not having the option to have color, and 2) like you said it can be done better in post processing.

I just used the in-camera BW in this scenario as a quick and dirty way to see what to expect when I used the film camera.

23. Cobber

What camera did you shot it with?

And the final product does show the depth a little more (probably looks even moreso in person than the pic of a pic :mamoru: )

Nice job! How big did you print it?

24. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Am I the only one that thinks it looks bad :o

25. Cobber

maybe maybe not ... I think it capture what he had in mind very well. I would like to see it in person or at least scanned instead of a pic of a pic.

I like it :bigthumb: