A&P C&C 1 beach pic, plus questions regarding PP noise reduction and Photoshop CS4 (mac)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Jul 14, 2009.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

C&C 1 beach pic, plus Q's regarding PP noise reduction and Photoshop CS4 (mac) *fixt*

First off, this is a beach shot I took a few weeks ago while staying in Gulf Breeze for the 4th. EXIF data shows it was taken at like 1:32am, but I think it was actually taken between 11-12pm :dunno: 30 second exposure, f4.5:

*dead link*

Now, I'm looking for advice on noise reduction software. . .from what I've heard/read Noise Ninja is the best way to go, but I've also heard the "home bundle" (aka the cheap version) limits the size of the image that you can process. Can anyone confirm this? Also, are there any other NR plug-ins or programs that you'd recommend? I'd prefer cheap (or free :x: ).

Now I'm also looking for Photoshop CS4 or LR for my mac. . .can anyone hook me up with a pm :hsugh: I was given a link awhile back when CS4 first came out, but the link was dead by the time I got around to clicking it :wtc:

Thanks for any comments, criticism, info, or helpful links :wavey:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

For some reason flickr isn't letting me link the image anymore, let me try something else. . .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  3. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

65 views and no replies :hs:

Can someone at least reply "pelf"?

4. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

first 5 things I have a problem with:

1) sand in foreground distracts because of all the footprints
    2) shoreline is not defined
    3) there's something about the water that's off. Almost looks reptilian, though I sure this just sounds stupid.
    4) wtf spots in the sky? Stars? They look like freckles.
    5) the vignetting in the top left corner.

5. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

The Home version is for 8 bit images. It any of the paid versions support full file sizes. The free trial supports 1024x864 or something like that.

The Pro version supports 16bit TIFF's.

6. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

Exposure looks like it was almost too long.. or ISO too high.. Reminds me of a pic i took, except mine is a little less fail, if i do say so myself:

[​IMG]

7. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

The sand was the only thing "constant" I could focus on, because it was a 30sec exposure late at night. The long exposure gave the water its strange appearance, the shoreline isn't clearly defined but I liked how the first break blended into the beach and how the second break was fairly clear :dunno:

The spots are stars, and the reflection off the water is from the moon. It was too high to get into the picture without, at least in my opinion, making too much of the photo "empty" sky. And, as I'm sure you're aware, long exposures of the moon don't ever come out sharp because its moving faster than it seems. The "vignetting" isn't so much vignetting caused by the lens, rather it was just darker to my left. The image is looking south (maybe a few degrees east of south), but there wasn't anything that direction except the gulf so it was significantly darker.

I'll clean up the image a bit, so far I've just done a few basic adjustments in CS4. The bad news is my "trial" version of CS4 just expired and locked me out, so I'm trying to find a new copy :x: If I can get a working copy, I'm going to buy Noise Ninja and try to clean up some firework shots and other random pics from the trip :bigthumb:

Noise wasn't an issue on any of the shots except the longer exposure night shots (like the one posted above, and my fireworks photos), I'm so glad I upgraded from the D40x to the D90 before the trip :bowdown:

8. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

9. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

How do I get rid of those? :hsd: :o

10. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

There isn't really anything interesting about the picture, it's a straight on shot of beach and water. Try to find an interesting subject to incorporate into the photo, such as some rocks or something else in the sand, or possibly another angle so it's not a straight on shot with the horizon in the middle of the frame.

The reflection of the moon throws your exposure off because it's too bright on the right hand side and too dark on the left. It almost looks like it's daytime on the right and nighttime on the left.

And check THIS thread for CS4 or LR, not sure if all the links are still alive though.

11. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Fair enough :hsd: I live in a landlocked state and can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten to see water that extends all the way to the horizon and beaches that aren't brought in by truck, so that's probably why I think the photo is somewhat interesting :rofl:

All the links seem to be dead on that page, unfortunately :hs: I might just have to DL a bittorrent client and take my chances. . .I have access to all of the CS4 discs, but I can't find a serial number or crack that works.

12. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

You could try posting a request for a rehost in that thread, there are a few people here on OTAP that have been re-uploading stuff.