C++: Binary tree search and modification

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Feb 19, 2008.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

How do I implement a class that searches through a binary tree and modifies a node's field? For example, each node has an id and name field, I want to search for the id, and then modify the name belonging to that id. I want to be able to make a method that can be reused to modify other fields belonging to that node.

My first though was something like this (psuedo)

void setField(int id, string fieldname)
    {
    Node *n = lookup(id);
    n->fieldname = "some value";
    }

lookup(int id)
    {
    // find the node in the tree recursively
    return pointer to node?
    }

Can this be done? New to C++, still trying to get used to pointers, references, etc. Not asking for code, just the idea behind it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Can it be done with C++? Absolutely...as I have done it before for a project in one of my programming classes. Do I remember what I did? No.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Check the current node. If it's the node you're looking for, modify it and return true. Otherwise, check the node's left child by calling the same function recursively; if the return value is true, return true; otherwise, check the right child. If the return value is true, return true, otherwise return false.

4. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Right, but I'd like the modification to happen from the method that called the recursive method the first time. That way I could have one method that modifies one field in the node, and another method that modifies a second field in the node, both using the lookup method to get to the node.