C# and VS .NET worth learning?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by beaniemak, Dec 18, 2003.

1. beaniemak

beaniemak New Member

A long while ago I got a copy of VS .Net for going to their academic launch event. I've never put it to use since all my courses since then have focused on Java. Now, I will be taking a course that will do C programming for networks and another course that should have some Visual Basic and I would like to use this seemingly sweet IDE for these courses. Akwardly, I've never used an IDE before, all the coding I've done has been in emacs and the most technical debugging I've done has consisted of printf's, cout's, and System.out.println's. So all the benefits of using an IDE seem to be lost on me aside from code completion.

So, before the spring semester starts, I'd like to familiarize myself with this IDE by perhaps learning C#. I wanted to write a small app, maybe a black jack card counter or a simple text messaging program. What I want to know is if it's worth my time doing so? It's supposed to be pretty analgous to Java so the transition should be pretty smooth right, C -> C++ smooth? Do they have as much support, ie an API like Java does?

Any other considerations I should look at?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Let me tell you this... .NET jobs are booming like crazy. It's an awesome framework with a very sweet IDE and can do pretty much anything java can do, and some thing java can do, a lot easier. It's definately a language that is going to stick around for awhile as well. What's definately for sure is that MS is going to start installing the framework out of the box with their operating systems from her on out, so you will be gaurenteed client support.

but if you end up not wanting to use it i'll give you $5 for it :big grin:

3. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

I'm in the process of teaching myself C# right now and I say you should definately go for it. I'm only about a week into it but so far it seems like a very friendly language, to me almost like a cross between VB and C++. Then again I'm probably the only person in the world that never learned Java so I couldn't comment on any similarities there. If you've already got the software, why not?

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

It's so much like Java you already know C#. You'll be shocked at how much you already know. The only thing you need to get used to is dragging and dropping your GUI controls instead of writing them by hand (Java). I think you would be happy to do that, right? I know I was. ;)