C# and file info

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Jan 3, 2004.

1. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

A client of mine needed a way to securely transfer documents to her employees working from home ( i think i made a post about this awhile back). Well, everything is working fine now.. i ended up setting up cygwin on her xp box serving the files and installed openssh and just let her employees setup SCP (via filezilla) on their home systems and BAM everything works great, and no VPN bullshit...

well, now my only problem is that openssh doesn't log anything when users access files or anything... i could go in and hack openssh just to print out any commands that are being executed from the clients, but instead i want to write a little windows service in C# using the FileSystemWatcher (which works great) to just log everytime a user reads/edits/deletes a file... everything is perfect except one thing... i can't figure out how to get the user information that is currently modifying the file that raised the event! It gives me a buch of info about the file, but no user info :( Anybody have an suggestions?

I also tried turning on XP auditing but that was no help at all. My client isn't very computer savvy and those events were just confusing to her (as well as me). Just changing a file name entered 30 event log entries :ugh:

2. SLED

you mean write an sftp server?

3. SLED

yes, no, yes

doesn't HAVE to be FTP.... but i've been through the VPN bullshit already. Not going there again. Oh... and i'd also like it to be free (if possible)

4. SLED

more than my client is willing to pay for, is more like it ;)