bypassing symantec NIS script to open/close windows

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AVengeance, May 9, 2005.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I'm writing a ASPX page, that refers back to itself when the form is submitted. While the server-side action is ongoing, I want to display a "Please Wait..." page with blinking or moving graphic, until the "work" is done, and the main page reloads. The script works fine on my system, but when I showed it to my boss, it froze and wouldn't submit the form. After looking at the source code, I realized NIS (Norton Internet Security) was interjecting its own fucking JScript onto the page, disabling things like window.open and Body onLoad. I've gotten past most of the hurdles, so now the Please Wait window opens, but when the main page returns, the Please Wait window won't close!

How do you close a window you opened by clicking on a hyperlink? Anyone know?

I'm referring to the window like this:
    <A NAME="PleaseWaitLink" HREF="PleaseWait.htm" TARGET="WaitWin"></a>

Then using JScript to click on it right before the form gets submitted
    function OpenWaitWin() {
    document.all.PleaseWaitLink.click();
    }

By force-clicking the hyperlink, it works around NIS disabling the javascript function window.open, but when the main page comes back, it's supposed to do this:
    function RsetWaitWin() {
    OpenWaitWin();
    WaitWin.close();
    }

That function is called just under the <body> tag, and will open the Please Wait window (if it wasn't already open, so closing it doesn't cause an error) then close it.

The .close command isn't working on the NIS-enabled system. Any idea how to close my Please Wait window? Am I just not referring to it properly, or do I need another workaround for NIS?

Thanks!!

2. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I found a way, no thanks to OT ;)

I can use JScript to force a click on a hyperlink (I refer to the link by name, but there's no text between the anchor open and close tags). That replaces the window.open command, and it works nicely. I'm still having trouble CLOSING the window, though, but it looks like there might be a similar way to deal with it, or I can just make the Please Wait page timeout after x seconds, and close itself.

I hate anti-virus software. It doesn't do what it's supposed to, and does all kinds of other annoying shit.