buzz when connecting my computer's sound card to my receiver

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lempdoe, May 3, 2002.

1. Lempdoe

Lempdoe gettin while the gettin's good

hey guys, maybe you can help me with this....

i just put together a new computer with a SB Audigy sound card; since I have a $600 sony theater in a box, I figured why not put it to use with the computer. I picked up the $20 monster cable line-out to AUX connector cable, and (I think) set it up correctly.

The problem is, when I turn up the volume even the slightest bit, I get this really annoying buzzing sound. The louder the volume, the louder the buzz. This happened on my old computer when I took 3 6' Y-cables and did the same thing; however, I thought this was because of the various connectors that I used to create the necessary length of wire. I figured it would be corrected cause the monster cable is continuous. Well, I was wrong.

I'm annoyed with this, and I'd like to correct it, if possible. For references sake, my receiver is positioned on one wall of my room, and my computer is in the corner of the opposite wall. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.....

Any suggestions? I'm :confused:

2. caddymac

caddymac Guest

Use the digital input of your receiver. Ask for more details if you don't know what I mean.

3. Lempdoe

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the cable I have is RCA--my receiver has digital input, although I think it might only be for images cause it says "optical" right beneath it.

:confused:

4. Lempdoe

also, if i have the receiver set to a different input, i don't get any buzz.

5. lucid

lucid Guest

i've done the same exact thing w/ a worse outcome.

i have a sb audigy platinum and a sony home theatre system.
    i too wanted to hook them together.
    but...
    when i did not only did i hear the "buzz" that you mention but i also heard a "pop".
    when i only heard the "buzz" out of the SB i decided to see if my on-board audio would do the same thing, well... "pop"
    i ended up frying my SB and my on-board sound card.

i've done this many times w/ various amps and soundcards, never a problem.

i guess the new sony amp has some sort of voltage going out.

anyway... i send my card back to creative and it's getting fixed.

6. Lempdoe

i got frustrated and just plugged in my creative 3 piece computer speakers. they are fine for now--no buzzing either.

:fawk: sony

7. 04

04 Guest

Dont give up so soon! The problem was most likely you were introducing noise in your system. Your computer has a lot of parts in it that create Electromagnetic noise that is probably making that buzz. Like others said above you should use a digital connection from your computer to your reciever. Unfortunatly I think the audigy sound card has an optical digital output, I believe it outputs in coaxial form. SO you need to go to to your local electronics store and buy a 1/8inch MONO plug to rca cable. Then plug the 1/8inch end into your sound card's orange plug output. Plug the other end into your recievers coaxial digital input. If you only have optical digital input on your receiver you will either need to get a coaxial digital to optical convertor or get a new reciever, or get a new sound card, or use analog input. Should you choise to go the route of analog input, you already are doing that but you might want to try using a higher end cable with better sheilding :o . The problem with this is that commonly available brands such as Monster Cable are such rip offs that it would probably be cheaper to invest in a sound card with an optical digital output!!! :wtc: Let me know if you have any more questions....

8. Lempdoe

I'm kinda new at this, could you possibly rephrase? :o

basically, i have no idea what you said

9. caddymac

caddymac Guest

Basically your one piece of equipment is trying to ground through the other piece. What connections do you have on your receiver?

10. 04

04 Guest

What exactly could be causing the ground loop? Could the outer shield of the cable be making contact with his computer case, which is probably different ground potential than the return for the audio source? Thx