buying VS. building a new computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fader, May 18, 2007.

1. fader

fader New Member

I have two desktops at home, the newer one is custom put together by me while the second is prebuilt. My prebuilt stopped working recently and I decided to get a new computer.

Now I haven't built a computer for ~2 years so I'm not sure how prices have changed and what I should do.

I need this computer to basically a smooth running web browsing/email computer and I'll add a graphics card so my brother can play some games. I'd like to spend around ~$600, I only need the tower, I have a keyboard and everything else.

Some comments and suggestions please, thanks!:)

BTW, i've seen these new dual core cpu's. which run at 1.9, so how would a computer with dual core 1.9 ghz run vs a the 'regular' 2.4 ghz single core cpu?

2. Nakier

Nakier Führer of Fun

well without the hassle u could go pre built but i find u get a lot more satisfaction in building it urself plus you also know what components u are putting into the computer.

Well i prefer building , so ill go with build one, if you have some time and customise it

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

either build it yourself, or pay a reputable local shop to do it.

4. Biddy

Biddy I Bleed Aqua and Orange...

dont get hung up on clock speeds

build it around an intel e4300 core 2 duo imo...

obviously... www.newegg.com is your friend

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The dual-core machine will run each program a little slower than the faster single-core machine, but it will be twice as hard to bog it down. On the whole, that means the machine will run faster because it has a lot of programs all wanting to run at once.

"Having two cores is like having two cars; it won't get you to work twice as fast, but the wife can drop the kids off at school at the same time."

6. Nakier

Nakier Führer of Fun

:bigthumb: v good quote!

7. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

There are plenty of prepackaged deals for the price range you provided including monitor. You can always build with a core 2 duo within the same ballpark. What you're primarily using it for is pretty basic. FYI, you may encounter bumps along the way if you build it yourself too.

Prices have dropped for a number of components like cpu's, memory etc.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Thanks. It's mine. You can use it if you want, as long as you send me a 5c royalty to my PayPal account every time you use it.

(violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of my aluminum Louisville Slugger.)

9. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Don't forget the e4300 is very easily overclockable. I was able to get 3.6ghz out of the 1.8ghz chip, and I'm not using any crazy cooling. Just a $30 Thermaltake fan.