Buying used Macbook Pro.....what to look for during inspection?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Apr 4, 2010.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm in the market for a Macbook Pro and finding some ads like this on craigslist.

Have a pretty safe plan for the transaction. My main concern is if it's stolen. Does apple maintain a stolen SN list or anything? I'm plenty tech savvy enough to check it out, check the specs etc. Any problems in particular w/ the MBP I should look for?

2. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm in the market for a Macbook Pro and finding some ads like this on craigslist.

Have a pretty safe plan for the transaction. My main concern is if it's stolen. Does apple maintain a stolen SN list or anything? I'm plenty tech savvy enough to check it out, check the specs etc. Any problems in particular w/ the MBP I should look for?

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Apple doesn't have a list of stolen serial numbers. Things I'd do would be restart machine and make sure it boots up ok, open TextEdit and test the keys. If there's a bad key, to fix it is $300-400.

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Yea I'd definitely test all the keys and buttons, I'd like to see it run for at least 30min as well to make sure it doesn't act up once it's hot.

I've got a program on my desktop called xbench that'd probably tell a lot

around 2:30 mark --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJoctfi4kBg&hd=1