Buying used Iphone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SP1Supra, Jul 7, 2008.

1. SP1Supra

SP1Supra boosted

First off I know nothing about unlocking/jailbreaking. I am thinking of buying a used Iphone but first I want to know if its possible to use it w/o signing another contract? Right now I am with AT&T on the 450 min plan and my contract will expire next month, I just don't want to buy it and then after unlocking it need to sign another contract to get it to work. Thanks for the help

2. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Download iLibertyX. It will Unlock, jailbreak, and activate it so that you can pretty much use it as a kick ass iPod Touch. That's what I'm doing right now. If you want to use it for actually calling people, then you will need to sign a new 2-year, at which point I would advise you not buy it, and just get the new one

3. SP1Supra

SP1Supra boosted

Can I use the wifi w/o the contract?

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i did the same thing. so heres what you have to do. do it this way and you will not have to worry about the contract

get the phone
    activate/unlock/jailbreak it with whatever program. you have to activate it b/c the person will likely restore it and it will say connect it to itunes for activation. you have to unlock it b/c the sim you have is not the one that came with it. you dont HAVE to jailbreak it but its nice.

att will know you are using an iphone within a couple days of use. your online profile will change to show an iPhone being used. they have basically blocked being able to use the $15 media net package on the iphone. you need to call att customer service and tell them you need to do an imei change. DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT KIND OF PHONE IT IS. they are told the phone has to be activated through itunes. if they do not do it, call your local store and do the same thing.

with the phone on your account you can now go online and add the data plan. i recommend adding the data plan b/c wifi is nice but its not everywhere. also, even though you are using wifi, the phone will still use a little bit of gprs and you will be charged for it.

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

can't you also use a fake IMEI with iLiberty+? Put in your old phone's IMEI # into iLiberty when you unlock/jailbrake/activate and you should be goood.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yeah but i think thats getting into illegal territory for cloning phones

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i knew someone had done this but i wasn't sure who. now i remember it was you.

good luck supra buddy :h5:

8. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

WIFI or edge?

WIFI is not related to ATT.

Edge is ATT wireless data. If you use this without a plan you'll end up with a $600 bill. The iphone does several data transfers in the background that keep it pretty much always doing SOMETHING at some time with your data connection. You don't have to do anything short of plug your sim in for the iphone to start racking up data useage.

9. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

But if you're cloning a phone you already own, what's the big deal? :dunno:
    I can see if you were cloning a phone you didn't own, it would create some kind of complication to say the least.

10. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

Whoa whoa whoa, you're gonna need to elaborate on this one. I know that when you had this problem, you had a friend at AT&T solve it for you, so that's one thing. But a random customer calling up to request that they change his IMEI? That's going to set off fraud alarms to any halfway competent CSR, and I can only guess that the ones that can change IMEIs are the competent ones.

Anyway, explain this one more, because I think the fact that you knew someone inside the company is going a LONG way here that Joe User won't be able to leverage.

Doing it yourself may be sketchier, but if you do it right, it may just be the safer / easier way. OP, if you do decide to clone your old phone's IMEI yourself, make sure to NEVER have both phones connected to the network at the same time, ever, even if one doesn't have a SIM in it. If AT&T sees two phones on the network with the same IMEI, you might get in some big trouble.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

:werd: once you clone a phone, take off the battery just to make sure. If you want destroy the phone(if it's a cheapy one of course) Remove the label with the IMEI info and save it.

12. SP1Supra

SP1Supra boosted

For all this i think I'll stick with buying a 3G version

13. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

it's really not terribly complex, pineapple devil just did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago so wait for him to post more info before making a decision :dunno: