GUN Buying used beginner guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bausk, May 25, 2008.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm thinking of going to the pawn shop to look for a 10/22 and a 12 gauge shotgun for my first 2 guns. Will I be able to find a decent deal? And will it be worth buying used? I figure if I am going to upgrade the 22 it would be better to buy used and save a few bucks, and I've heard of people buying shotguns at pawn shops. I'm pretty ignorant to firearms in general, I try to read the forums here but alot of it goes over my head.

2. Laurel

Laurel New Member

A 10/22 is so cheap I'd be more comfortable buying something that I know I've maintained and some hillbilly white trash hasn't made "internal modifications" to.

3. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Depending on what kind of shotgun you want, you could get both brand new for under $500 pretty easily.

4. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

If you're totally new to guns and want to buy used, you are best off having someone with you who can help you look things over. I read too many stories of people who had a problem gun and sold it rather than mess with fixing it. Not saying that you can spot every problem by a quick inspection but there are some things that will jump out at you if you know what to look for. Always ask permission to handle a gun in a shop. If the guy behind the counter seems annoyed that you want to check out the bore or do a function check, walk away.

I'd go new on the 10/22. A good .22 rifle is one of those guns that you will probably never sell even after you add more rifles to your collection. Plenty of guys out there with a safe full of rifles that still enjoy taking out that .22 for some cheap practice. It's also good to have around to take to the range with a friend who is new to shooting.

Good shotguns can be found used, especially hunting or police trade-in guns which may have some handling wear but not been fired that much. However, a brand new Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump shotgun is very affordable for a basic shotgun setup. Personally, unless it was a really great price used I would prefer a new gun with a warranty.

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

That's what I've been seeing. Even if I went to WalMart I could get both for right around $500.

For a "home defense" shotgun, should I be looking for a shorter barrel (18")?

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If that is what your primary use will be, then I'd vote yes. You can get a Remington 870, 18" barrel, and the +2 factory mag extension for about $300 new in box.

7. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Rem 870 Marine!!! :run:

8. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Gold/Tiger Stripe Desert Eagle.... 50AE of course.