Buying Servers/Workstations: State your Flavor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Who do you guys recommend for buying servers/workstations from?

I was looking at Dell's site, and got some quotes... its around $3200 for a Dell Precision 3GHZ 2MB L2, 2GB RAM, SATA RAID 1 163GB drives, 128 Meg mediocre video with dual VGA/one DVI/VGA out, a cheap UPS, two 19" LCDs and with XP Pro. I could always build this myself and maybe save some cash. Not sure though... cause LCDs are expensive.

For an entry level File/MySQL server: A Dell PowerEdge 850 2.8GHZ with 1MB L2, 1 Gig of RAM, 250GB SATA RAID 1, is $1,860 without a UPS. Have to get one... but their rackmount UPSs exceed my budget right now. I need rackmount gear for expanding, so building my own server is not an option.

I checked out IBM's page for comparisons... and found it quite difficult to get any real information.

Checking HP now...

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

HP costs about the same for a comparable workstation. But you know what? You can't get anything useful in the way of a price for a custom 1U server setup. I can't get SATA RAID, and I can't even change the size of the original hard drive to get a RAID 1 setup with a 160GB+ hd. Fuck their web page.

IBM and HP do NOT want to sell you shit on the web. I'll have to call...

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

you guys suck

4. tony

tony Guest

Dell has great systems and offers great support. If you get a good support level, they will sometimes even overnight you a new system while they send out a tech to service the machine that died.

http://www.boldata.com/ Has been around for years, and makes great systems. I know a few people that buy hardware exclusively though them.

I would recomend staying away from a 1U case and going with a 2U instead. You can get a chassis with more drive bays and it will allow for one or two more expansion cards; An aditional 4-channel SATA card, for example.

If you're daring, you can easily build your own rack systems for servers. Same goes for workstations. The only reason I would go with building your own would be if you are in need of saving some cash.

How powerful of systems do you need? How much storage will your fileserver need?

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'd like to get a 2U. In fact, that is the spec I want for a win2003 AD/VPN/File server, and for a MySQL/MaxDB/PostgreSQL server with a big 6 drive RAID 1/10 array. But, I also have a contingency plan for limited funding putting both of those on a 1U, and upgrading with more 2Us in the future.

These are for R&D, so I can probably get away with smaller drives, slower systems, etc. if I have to. The system, when deployed, will have many gigs of file storage, databases with big ass tables, multiple gigs and more. Target audience is between 10 and 40 people. But the system needs to scale all the way up. Developing on the exact systems I intend to deploy so that I can tune it performance wise would be great. But I've had to map out two paths of hardware aquisitions depending on funding amounts.

I'm thinking of starting out with a 1U server with 2 drive SATA RAID 1, like 250 gigs or so, and a fat ass workstation. Then get some 2Us once more people are on the team, and load testing is setup, and they are hammering on the database and file server.

6. tony

tony Guest

Yeah, at the R&D stage you should only need something somewhat light. I would recomend something along the lines of a mid-range dual opteron, 2 gig ram, 2x250sata raid1. It will be overkill at first, but will have a good deal of logetivity as your project starts to grow.

If money is too tight, you could opt for a single-proc opteron but with a motherboard that supports two. Or only purchase a gig of ram as of now. I dont know what your project entails, but I would assume that you're going to be spending a great deal of time seting up the software side. For this, something tame would suffice, but it would be better putting that money twards something long-term.

7. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Dell has done us great with servers. IT outsourcing company, mainly a dell business line shop. Optiplex, any of their certified business class machines. HP isn't bad, Dell's a lot better about replacement under warrant for business class, and since we are a reseller.
    OS , win2k3 server hands down. Fuckin stable as hell - we use it on software pbx telephone servers to web servers to exchange servers to domain controllers to file servers without a problem. Never an OS related problem.

8. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

You looked at Tyan at all?

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Vendors used for x86 servers: HP (Compaq), Dell, IBM.

All have gold or platinum support for production environments, silver for test and dev.

In our experience, HP and Compaq have been the best, most reliable hardware and best service, with both Gold and Silver support.

Dell hardware is good, but their service at the enterprise level is lacking.

I would stay away from IBM. They are a bunch of tards with tard machines with tard support. Why the hell would they decide to outsource their support to india for customers who pay almost 8 digits for support? Kthxbye.

This is in reference to global support, North America, Eurppe, and Asia. Only for x86 servers, blades, etc.

This does not apply for SAN or tape or any storage.

I would recommend trying Enterprise consulting solutions in your region. We use Agilysys and they are great. You get better prices when compared to the vendor and installation/migration/deployment packages.

Good Luck.