Buying round cables...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

What is the difference between those that have 2 connections versus 3 connections? I have 2 DVD drives, 1 hard drive and a floppy so I was going to buy 4 cables, correct? Also I was looking at CoolerMaster or Vantec which is better, or does it even matter for cables?

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

A standard IDE channel can take up to 2 drives, thus there are 2 connectors per cable plus 1 on the motherboard end.

Are you replacing cables you currently have? Take a look at them. Unless your motherboard has more than one IDE controller, you'll have 2 hard drive cables (at least one will have dual connectors) and 1 floppy cable.

If you mother board has a single IDE controller, it will only have connectors for 2 IDE channels. So, you'll only need 3 cables at most (2 IDE, 1 floppy). I suggest you get both IDE cables with dual connectors in case you ever want to add another hard drive.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Are you asking which is brand is better for performance or quality?
    Performance it shouldn't matter.
    Quality? Well that's depends on who you talk to and if they happen to get a bad batch or not.

4. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Yeah I'm replacing the cables that came with my motherboard. The motherboard is a Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, it came with four ribbon cables 1 marked CD-ROM, 2 marked HDD, and 1 marked Floppy. Here is the link to the specs on the board, maybe you can tell me how many cables I need and whether they need to have 2 or 3 connections since I'm not sure, thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-492&depa=0

5. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Are you building a new system, and don't have anything put together yet? I was suggesting that you simply look at whats connecting your drives and buy round cables to match.

If all your drives are regular ATA (not SATA), I'd just get 2 3-connector IDE cables for your HDD and DVDs. Put the HDD on the primary IDE channel and the 2 DVDs on the secondary channel. The unused connector on the primary channel will give you room to add another HDD later. If you ever plan to use the RAID functionality of that motherboard with additional HDDs, you'll need another 3-connector cable. And, a 2-connector floppy cable is all you'll need for the floppy drive. I don't think many people need a floppy drive these days, let alone two of them.

6. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

No I just built this sytem a few months ago, I just wanted to replace the bulky ribbon cables that came with the motherboard with round ones to improve air flow and appearance.

I have 1 ATA HDD hooked up and 2 DVD, so all I need is 2 3-connector IDE cables to hook those up + 1 2-connector for the floppy?

7. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Correct

8. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Thanks a lot for the help, I'm ordering them off Newegg right now :cool: