Buying off-lease vehicles?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ices, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ices

ices New Member

I'm looking for another car (~$30k) to replace the one I currently own. I've started to explore options in the area, and stumbled upon this site...

http://eee-auto-sales.ebizautos.com/

I saw some cars that interest me, but when I check the free auto report, I find that they were previously leased and purchased at an auction. Does anyone here have any experience dealing with off lease and auctioned off vehicles? It's always been my impression that leased vehicles are often beat to hell, but that can happen to any car. The cars here don't have any implied warranty. Is it safe to buy from a dealer like this? What should I be cautious of? Thanks for any input!

2. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I've bought used off lease vehicle that ended up at auction and was bought by a local used car lot (so it fits all your criteria!). It was a local vehicle. I carfax checked it and it was clean. Called up the local dealer that did all the maintenance and got all maintenance records. Everything on the vehicle checked out perfectly and it was 1 owner. I think I got lucky but you may be able to get something like that too. I noticed that lots of used cars that were only a couple years old had 2-4 owners (and im not just talking about the dealer "owning" it before selling it). I think if you take a good look at it and find out what dealer serviced it (at $30K used you get a pretty good car that should be dealer serviced) you are at a head start.

Just a note, Chrysler sells amazing bumper to bumper warrantys. Google it if it interests you but I had one and it was amazing. You have to be careful because they don't sell it for all cars and they may only sell it for Chrysler and Mercedes products. Maybe there is some benefit still even though the companies split. However if you buy a Benz or a Jeep and the miles are under 80K (i think) you qualify and its pretty darn cheap.

3. ices

ices New Member

Yeah, I will see if the dealer can give me information on where it was maintained. The auto history report calculates 1 owner, and I find it unlikely that this car was used as a rental/fleet/company car (it's a manual). On one hand, it was a leased car, so the previous owner could have flogged it since he knew he wasn't keeping it. But on the other hand, owners of leased vehicles need to maintain their cars in order to avoid any dealer charges for excessive wear and tear. This is the car btw...

http://eee-auto-sales.ebizautos.com/detail-2006-audi-s4-4305806.html

It was purchased in CT, auctioned in PA, and sold to a dealership in VA. Should this make me nervous?

4. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I think off-lease vehicles are sometimes branded as "rental/fleet" on carfax. I wouldn't be scared of a car like that simply because its more enthusiast owned than if you bought a normal A4 or the like. I would purchase that car. Even if you can't get service records you could give it a good pre-purchase inspection at a different mechanic (obviously not the selling dealer). I know for some cars they charge around $300 but that is worth it for a car you will own for some time.

I should mention I have bought many many many used vehicle and the one I mentioned is only one of the multiple I could tell you about. I would say the best thing to do is go there and look over anything else. I don't care about little stuff because I can fix that but I used it to drop the price.

5. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

My last 2 leases I changed the oil both times the day before I turned them in at the 3 year mark. You dont have to prove maintenance for excessive wear its not like they actually check anything they do a once around and sign it off as good to go. So go buy them lease turn ins cause everyone i know who owns one drives it like its stolen and maintenance upkeep is a waste of money..
    The auction was more than likely at Mannheim the worlds largest auction alot of lease turn ins are auctioned there. I have been there its HUGE people from all over the world buy cars there.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  6. dmt4595

dmt4595 OT Supporter

30k will get you a ~07 BMW 328 with pretty low miles.. and since BMW has free maintenance to 50k miles, most people keep up with it since they dont have to pay for it anyway. On top of that, basically all of them are certified by the dealer, so they have a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty on them. At the dealership I work at, there are some beat up leases that come back, but those are the ones we send to auction or dont bother to certify because it will cost too much to fix to make a good profit on most of the time. Stick with a certified car and you should be just fine

7. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

I can get a new 2010 328i for $29k Leather aluminum trim I think thats about it.

That dealers prices werent that bad on that site..