buying new SATA hdds, raid 0 array, how to copy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leo95SE, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

so my two 80gbb sata hdds are full, and im upgrading to 120gb. i have them running a raid 0 array now, and am not sure how to copy files over. im assuming like this, but please correct me if im wrong:
    1. turn off raid array.
    2. remove one drive, replace with larger one
    3. format and copy files i need (not OS) to new hdd.
    4. remove 2nd old drive, install 2nd new hdd as master. install OS.
    5. copy files from new slave to new master, make sure master is working.
    6. setup raid 0 array again, and allow the drives to sync.

is this a safe way to do this without jeopordizing data?
    thx!

2. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

anyone??

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

RAID 0 / Stripeset? Your method may work for a mirrorset depending on the metadata and how smart the controller is, but you can't disable a stripe set and expect to copy data from one of the drives or members.

In a stripeset, ideally, 1/2 of the data is written to one drive, while the other half to the other drive in blocks. So removing or disabling the other drives defuncts the drive you want to keep enabled.

Unfortunately, to move ~160GB of striped data is to move it to another volume while that stripe set is enabled.

How are you raid-ing this? Sounds like you have a single channel with two sata ports.

The easiest thing for you to do is to get another controller and create a stripe set with the 120's.

4. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

its a single channel raid 0 array..
    im not familiar with stripe sets, and dont want to buy another controller, perhaps ill try my method, see what happens then, hopefully all works out. :)
    thx

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Um, the second you break your stripe set: ie. "turn off raid array" and attempt to mount it and copy files off of it, you will lose all of your data. Period. You won't see the data on the 1/2 of the stripe set.

Why ask for advice when you're going to ignore it?

6. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

b/c like i said, i didnt understand 'stripe-set'. im not ignoring it, i misunderstood you and it sounded like something different. i thought a raid 0 array makes identical copies of data on two volumes. maybe im confuding it with a raid 1 array?
    so, now assuming i messed up, lets say i change to a raid 1 array. will my way work then? i dont have the money for a separate controller right now.
    thx..

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Raid 0: Retains the total storage space (2x80=160), but writes the files half to one HD, half to another
    Raid 1: Mirrors an exact duplicate of one HD to the other. Halves your total sorage space however.

Then there's Raid 0+1 which combines both 0 and 1 (but increases the minumum number of drives required)

Anyway, if you are in Raid 0 right now, and your new drives are sata, I don't think there's anyway around buying another controller. You can't simply break the raid 0 set like you described. What you MIGHT try although I don't know if it will work, is to ghost each drive onto its new drive (you are buiying TWO 120 GB right?). I'm not sure how much the RAID controller will like having an extra 40 gigs available, but at least you won't be breaking the set.

8. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

what is the purpose of running raid? raid 0 is for speed and raid 1 is for fault tolerance.

9. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

raid 5 owns joo

10. astriom

astriom Guest

Pshhhhh... The only ways I can think of to copy that involves getting a second controller or burning CD's.

But I would double check to see if it really is set up as raid 0 before you do anything. If it's actually a raid 1, then all you need to copy is one hard drive. Copying them both would be a waste of time, as syncing process does that for you.

11. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Set up both arrays as RAID-0 and then copy the files over.

Okay, I see why this is hard.

Buy another SATA RAID-0/1 capable controller - they aren't expensive.

Set up the 120GB drives in a RAID-0 configuration - you could return your 120GB drives in exchange for 160GB drives which would allow you to use the drives in a RAID-1 configuration so that you could transfer all 160GB of data from your 2 80GB drive (meaning 160GB total) RAID-0 configuration.

Then, copy.

By the way, you should have just purchased 3 120GB drives and a Promise FastTrak S150 SX4 RAID-5 capable controller and gone from there.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004