Buying new laptop tomorrow. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by flyinbrian, Feb 7, 2007.

1. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

The machine will be used for tuning fuel injected vehicles and reading data from data recorder on a race car. Windows based software. Occasional web browsing and e-mail, maybe a movie and some music. Never any gaming or anything that would require tons of processor or HD space.

I'm looking for durability and decent battery life and cost must be LOW.

I am buying tomorrow from a chain store more than likely. I don't have time to order online as I am in need of the machine now.

What's the best deal out there, what should I stay away from, what store to stay away from, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

First let me help you out of the dreamworld that laptops are cheap. If you skip that you want to see movies on the thing, i would try to aquire a decent second hand laptop. Since what you require from your laptop is low-end. (just reading data) almost any given laptop will do the job.

However steer away from Toshiba laptops , as they often have overheating problems.

Personally i would go for Acer, but your already at 600$ even for a cheap model. There's a lot of people who dump their old laptops, so either a cheap/new more expensive acer,or a second hand laptop bought from a reliable source.

3. CoFaRotheRu

CoFaRotheRu New Member