Buying new Hard Drive's on friday, need some answers to easy questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blazed Monkey, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

Next friday (day after thanksgiving sales) Best buy is selling Maxtor 120GB HD's for $50, and I can't pass that offer up.

Currently, I have 1 HD, capacity of 20GB, plus room to add another HD to my case.

Ok, so here's the questions, and please bear with me, I'm not quite sure how to ask them:

It's imperative that I retain all the data on my current 20GB HD. Basically, I want to clone the exact image of my 20GB onto one of the Maxtor's, and make the Maxtor my new C: drive. How do I do this? Will I still retain use of all my programs without having to reinstall?

Basically, I want to replace my 20GB HD with one Maxtor, then add the other Maxtor alongside of it. The problem I run into is: At least one of those Maxtors must have the 20GB off of the origional drive, replace the C: drive, retain all the system files/OS files, and still run. Is this possible? Am I making even making sense?

I hope someone understands this enough to help.....

2. Lee

Lee New Member

Yes it is possible. What I would do is obtain a copy of Nortan Ghost. Create a clone of the C:\ drive onto the C drive or burn to a CD. Then use Nortan to put the clone on the C:\ partition you create, and yes I do suggest creating partitions with 120gb drive. You can also put the drive on your system and the primary slave or secondary IDE and clone from harddrive to hardrive, again after you've made your partitions.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can also use the maxblaster software to do what you are asking. Should come with the drive or you can download it from their website.

4. Lee

Lee New Member

Yep thats right. I havent bought an HD in forever I tottaly forgot about that disk they give ya.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

I haven't bought a boxed HD in ages ;)

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Not sure about the Best Buy you're at, but I talked to my friend who works at one here and basically if I wanted one of the $50 120gb drives, I'd have to show up at 4am. No thanks. Word is Best Buy will have a TON of stuff on sale 2 weeks after that Friday. I think I'm in for one of the $400 notebooks...

7. Lee

Lee New Member

My friend runs one of the bestbuys in my area. Around Xmas they have a day where employees can bring in some family and friends when the store is closed to customers and get great discounts.

8. NolanTA

NolanTA You talkin' to me? OT Supporter

I can't find a sale flyer for after turkey-day sales.. where do you guys get this info? I'd be down for 2 or 3 of the maxtors, and maybe a $400 laptop as well, depending on specs.. is all this info from people that work there?

9. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I work @ Best Buy, and the days they open the store to employees and there families only happens one or 2 days. Also, the only discounts is the employee discount and that is better than any sale price. Only immediate family applies since thats how the discount works.

10. Lee

Lee New Member

They don't know hows family though. I went with him 2 years ago to it, bought a few PC games with the discount.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

Yeah, up here at FutureShop (same deal), it's just an unadvertised sale - you walk in there and you get the discount.

12. PsychoWes

PsychoWes ಠ_ಠ

is that hd sale nation wide or just in your area?

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you check out www.gotapex.com and www.slickdeals.net, you should be able to find a great deal on a big hard drive.

I recently picked up a Maxtor 160 gig hard drive for $70 after rebates. The price came out to $120 and like I said you get 2 rebates that bring the price down to $70.

HTH.