GUN buying my first gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mr. Hilter, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Mr. Hilter

Mr. Hilter Guest

I was going to start my collection off with one of those cheap Mosin Nagants from Big5, before moving onto getting a Tokarev TT33, SKS, then depending on if I stay in CA or not, some sort of WASR. Anyway I was wondering what steps I have to go to in order to purchase a bolt action rifle from the store. Do I have to wait before taking it home? Do I have to register it myself? Can someone give me some quick info please. Thanks.

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

It has been a while since I've purchased a firearm but from what I remember: yes you do have to wait 10 days from the submission of your dros, you are required to purchase or prove ownership of a lock for the weapon, you have to fill out that ridiculous DROS form and prove that you are a resident in CA (usually with a utility bill or similar document,) and you must pay the transfer fee which is $35 IIRC.

3. Mr. Hilter

Mr. Hilter Guest

How do I do that when I live at home with parents or on campus?

4. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Also, if you haven't already, you might want to register over at Calguns.net since it has pretty much all the information you could ever want on CA gun dealers, gunsmiths, ranges, current and upcoming laws and events.

5. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Not sure about that one, school registration or car registration maybe? Normally it's only required with handguns but every time I've purchased a long gun from Big5 they wanted proof of residency.

6. Well, you see, you live in a state where they at least somewhat respect your rights.

ib californiapeopleareallbutthurt

7. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Nope, just jealous of your logical gun laws. The best I can say as 'at least its not the UK.'

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

for a rifle, you just have to have a current drivers license. you'll pay $25 for the dros, on top of whatever the rifle + tax costs (DROS is not taxed). then you wait 240 hours and you can take it home.

9. striker754

striker754 Chillin

lolz i bought 5 guns in 30 seconds today

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

well, people in CA are still the owners once they fill out the paperwork, its just that the shop holds it for 10 days after that :greddy: