A&P Buying my first camera. DSLR or Fuji 9600?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Swerve, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying my first camera and would like some advice (for a noob).

The photos I'm going to be taking are going to be at boxing matches and so the arenas I'm going to be at are going to be dark with only the ring being lit. I need the pictures to be as sharp as possible and most importantly I need the ability to take good pictures from between 5 and 50 meters from the ring and still be able to zoom in so that the fighters fill a good majority of the frame.

The two camera's I'm considering getting are either the Cannon 400 DSLR which comes packaged with a 18-55mm or the Fuji 9600 camera which is more of a point and shoot model.

There is a more expensive D400 bundle which comes with both the 18-55 lense and a 55-200mm lens - http://www.jessops.com/Store/s32858/0/Lenses/Tamron/55-200mm-f-and-4-56-Di-II-LD-Macro-(Canon-AF)/details.aspx

Do you think the Fuji 9600 would be adequate for what I need or is the extra expense realistically needed?

This is going to be a big expense for me so want it to last me for a long time, and also the ability to create A3 size posters from my shots would be nice aswell.

Lastly has anyone used the movie mode on the Fuji 9600 and what kind of quality do you get from it?

Many thanks.

Swerve.

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I would go with the canon just because there's a lot more variety in accessories you can buy for it. I'd imagine for shooting in a dark arena like that you're going to need some fast lenses. I'm really not sure what the Fuji has available so I would just go with the XTi.

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

for once when someone asks this question I'm actually going to reccommend the DSLR....

400d will do alright... I'd buy just the body though and buy a 70-200 f/2.8 Assuming your on a budget, look at the sigma 70-200f/2.8 rather than the cannon.