Buying my first bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ChrisGST, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

I was wondering how to figure out the values of bikes. Is there a KBB for bikes and how much should I take off that figure for drops with minor cosmetic blemishes?

Also I know non-dropped bikes are best, but since this is my first and I want to save money what are the dangers of buying a dropped bike other than cosmetic imperfections?

2. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

3. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

4. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

You usually don't have anything to worry about with minor scrapes. Just make sure to really check that all the damage is only cosmetic.

If it were me I'd subtract the cost of the fairing(s) it needs from the price, but if they are minor scrapes other people may not be so particular.

5. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Since you are a new rider, maybe you should look for something that has been dropped, since it will be cheaper, and you might end up dropping it yourself. Just make sure the damage is all cosmetic, and that all the lights work (blinkers get broken in drops a lot). Otherwise, as long as everything works correctly, don't sweat cosmetic damage.

6. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

Yeah that is what I was thinking to. Is a R6 really asking to kill myself to much? and is 5gs a fair price for one with 04 with 9k miles? KBB is way above that, but I thought they usually go cheaper at the end of the summer.

7. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I'd recommend getting something a bit more tame than an R6 to start on.

As far as damage goes, I don't really care much about cosmetic damage but some people do. Get a good mechanic to look over it (whatever bike it is, whether or not it's been down) BEFORE you buy it.

8. Kenny Powers

Any bike will get you killed if you can't control yourself. The benefits of learning on a smaller bike are that they're generally more forgiving and easier to handle as a new rider who will make mistakes at some point.

If you are a responsible, careful person, you've got a shot at starting on an R6 without serious incident. The thing is, responsible, careful, individuals are usually comfortable starting on the smaller bikes. The trade off is that in general the bigger the bike you start on, the slower you progress.

For example, one of my buddies started on a liter bike. I started on a 500 about two years after him. I got a 600 the next summer, and I could lose him at will. To this day he can't hang with me. Not even close. Oh, and he's been down on the road twice so far. I've never been down and I ride much more often.

Another kid I know well wanted a 600RR for his first bike. He was down on the test ride before he even paid the guy for it. He went down at least two more times that day, because at the end of the day the bike was badly damaged on both sides. It was just about mint when he went to get it. He ended up selling it because he was scared of it. He lost about 2K in a week on it. It was also going to be the first bike of the guy who bought it. That guy fixed it mechanically and then was also scared of it and sold it.

I've already wrote a lot and I think it'll suffice to say I know a lot of guys who started on 600s or larger, and none of them have had a painless experience. I know someone always ends up posting that they started on a Busa and they're fine, but I don't know anyone who has. If they are out there, I'm willing to bet they're pretty weak riders.

9. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

Yeah I know I have A LOT to get decent at riding, I just don't want to buy two bikes. I want a one and done kind of deal and I know I'd get tired of a 250 quickly. I took the MSF course and consider myself responsible I just wanted to know if it was a really bad idea like a liter bike.

10. Junkie

Have you considered an SV650 or Ninja 650R?

11. Kenny Powers

Of course it's a bad idea. The statistics will tell you that. Did you make it through your first three years of driving without incident?

12. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

Yes. I know bikes are worse though. :o

I started on a 300 hp DSM to. I did some stupid shit when I was younger, but I think I've matured quite a lot since then and I never did anything that dumb. That's not to say I wouldn't go fast on this bike, but I have a lot of respect for them and realize you can't push a bike over the limits like a car and expect to tell about it. The area I'm going to ride it has VERY little traffic and I'm mainly going to use it to get to and from school.

There are no SV650s around for a reasonable price and I don't really want to save ~200 and get a bike that I would need to upgrade in a year or so.

13. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

The 650R for some reason are going even higher then the R6 I was looking at.

14. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

for responsible mature riders who can respect the bike a used 600-750 supersport is the perfect beginner bike.

for immature retards there is no perfect beginner bike.

I say spend the money on something you'll keep for atleast 2 seasons of riding. something that looks fast and good. SV650 doesn't look tight at all.

15. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Yea the R6 looks really fast as it explodes in little pieces going down the highway b/c you panicked when a car didn't see you.
    the 650 doesn't look tight? neither will an R6 once it goes flying around a curve riderless b/c entered the turn to hot and didn't know how to handle you bike in a moment of panic

16. Frequency

Frequency New Member

b/c beginner bikes are in higher demand due to the fact that every idiot and their uncle will buy that brand new R6, shit themselves within the first couple hundred miles and then get rid of it.

17. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Bike != car
    Fast != mature
    Limits - you won't ever come close

18. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Its your first bike not your last

19. Junkie

wat

20. darkjedi

Doesn't matter which bike you're in. in those situations outcome will be the same.

In your statements, "r6" and "sv650" are interchangeable

"Yea the Sv650 looks really fast as it explodes in little pieces going down the highway b/c you panicked when a car didn't see you.
    the 650 doesn't look tight? neither will an Sv650 once it goes flying around a curve riderless b/c entered the turn to hot and didn't know how to handle you bike in a moment of panic."

21. darkjedi

depending on the persons weight :o

22. Junkie

no, not really. an SV has a much nicer powerband for hauling a heavy person around, and they'll probably fit better on it too.

23. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

My R6 still gets me sometimes, and ive been riding for 4 years, not counting dirtbikes.

I think ima pick up a R1 too when the new gen comes out.

24. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Oh yea, a co workers dad picked up a GSXR1000 as his first bike. Hes dumped it 4 times, has payed 1300 bucks on new fairings, and its still not 100% fixed as he needs a new exaust.

Hes done so much damage that he hasnt put a single aftermarket thing to it.

25. darkjedi

agreed, your first bike should be a used bike...