Buying MPB

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rsxratedr, Aug 10, 2009.

1. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

I have a simple question, if i were to buy one in a local store, would they have like custom ones..i.e i want my mbp to have 4 gigs of ram and 320 gig hd. would they have it like that? or do they have the basic? and i would have to order online to get it custom?

2. kmad86

kmad86 Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09 OT Supporter

Just buy a stock one and put the ram and hd in yourself. Much much cheaper and it's very easy to do. You most likely will have to order online to get a custom one, I am not sure what the Apple store does.

BTW: Title should say "Buying MBP" not MPB.

3. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

ohh im sorry hahah i was typing fast i guess.. soo should i buy the ram and hd from like frys or something? but i mean it wont be apple quality?(correct me if no such thing exist) and what am i gonna do with an extra internal 250 hd?

4. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

just make sure you buy name brand ram like kingston, crucial etc. I think those even carry lifetime warranties. spare hard drives always come in handy. you could buy an external enclosure for 2.5" laptop hard drives and just use it as an external drive.

5. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

you can get 4GB of memory from Crucial for like $50

side note, though - when you bring the MBP in for warranty service, always put the original RAM back in. while they are pretty liberal about replacing computers that are having errors, they tend to try to blame it on other stuff.

e.g. blaming obvious apple hardware issues on user-installed software or RAM.

6. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

thanks alot everyone, thanks for the idea of the external HDD and my mind has been changed i will buy the basic model and upgrade it. Another Noobie question is it easily to replace a HDD on a MBP? obvioulsy ive never attempted it.

7. Keithsol

Keithsol New Member

ya i know newegg has some good ram for the mpb i might order from there

8. robwormald

robwormald New Member

its very easy to replace the hd and ram in the new macbook pros

use the right sized screwdrivers (jewelers 00) and you'll be fine.

boot up to the included DVD's, format the new drive using the disk utility (on the DVD) and then install the stuff you want, don't install the extra print drivers + languages you don't need, plus the apps you want.

ftw

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if answering your original question helps you at all, yes, they can do the RAM upgrade if you buy it at the store but the HD is a no because I think they need to reinstall the OS.

10. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Just bought my MBP on the 6th, but am gonna be upgrading the RAM and probably HD soon. I'm leaning towards the WD 320gb 5400rpm... but it's gonna be annoying reinstalling everything :p
    In the end, I'll do it since it'll be worth it in the long run

11. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

You for the Torx screwdriver for the hard drive. I *think* it's a T6 screwdriver.

12. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

and while you're at it, buy a referb from the apple store online.

13. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

crap i mean i am sorta tech savy i know my way around comps and stuff but installing ram i know is gonna be easy. but the hd might be tricky especially the program the new os..I am a lil slow when it comes to installing and programing stuff..soo i might be too scared to tinker with that.. and knowing apple WONT do it for me.. i might just buy ram else where but the HDD situation .. buying it from them, any opinions on that?

14. Pepe

Pepe New Member

its just money, if it gives you peace of mind, then just have them do it. you'll be saving like 30-40 bucks, not a deal breaker imo.

15. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

I replaced a friends over the weekend......it was a T8 that I used! :bigthumb:

Really easy

16. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

i mean sure it would be great to save that extra 40 bucks for maybe some gas..but i really dont wanna screw it up so ill just consider having them do it

17. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

There is no way on Earth you can screw it up. It is nothing like the previous generation MacBook Pro where you have to take the whole top sheet off. It is only about 10 screws to take off the bottom cover and then 2 more that holds the drive down. It cannot be any simpler. You can do it. :)

18. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

thanks for the support everyone i cant wait to join the mac shack! haha and ill watch the vid and i live in Los Angeles CA its not the physical stuff its the programming and i have to reinstall the drive if i go get it serviced