MMA Buying Mats

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Has anyone every purchased any mats for home use? I'm not looking for expensive fullsized mats, maybe smaller sized like 6'x8', 8'x8', but probably not too much bigger than that. I don't know what different styles would be the best option: hex, folding, or just smaller wresling mats but some storage options would be nice.

My house is a med-small sized Ranch so there isn't too much extra space to make a huge workout room, but I do have an extra small bedroom that isn't used for anything other than storage. It'd be kind of cool to be able to keep all my gear in there and put down a mat for some light rolling or thai pad or sheild work if my buddies come over to mess around or even if my wife wants to practive (see other thread).

The room is carpeted (actually the newest carpet we've put down in the house). Would it damage the carpet to leave these down for any extended period? Or would they have to come up pretty much after each use? I'm sure noone is a home MMA gym expert here put any input is appreciated.

I've got a heavy bag I don't have chained up anywhere I'd use for GNP work but I don't have anywhere to hang it, and I'm not putting up a heavybag in my house. The "stand" I used to keep it up with in the garage is a POS and is trashed. I figured it would be another good use for it if this project ever materializes.

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I learned the hard way, putting mats down on carpet = mats sliding around a lot

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

yeah you want the mats on a harder surface. And puzzle mats are the cheapest but also tend to fall apart.

4. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

We just bought 30m² of used mats and its a blast.

We bought something called Rhode Tatami which are judo mats and they are perfectly fine.

New cost around 70Euro for 1m² but got them use from a dojo for 7Euro a piece.

5. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Swain mats! they're affordable and they're sturdy as hell.

6. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Just helped install a 30x54 Swain mat at my gym...top quality, definitely a nice mat:bigthumb:

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I just went and bought two 4'x8' mats to make a small mat room. Fairly cheap mats, but enough for me to practice with my buddies and my wife. They were originally $80 each and I got them on sale for $50 each. :eek5:

Pics soon.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

What kind of tape should I use to tape 2 mats together? Duct tape doesn't seem like a good idea because I assume it would leave a residue that would have to be cleaned off the mats.... but it's all I have.

The tape they use at my gym seems like heavy duty packing tape. I'll probably ask tonight what sort of tape they use to keep their wrestling mats together.

9. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/wrestling/mats_tape.html

You don't have to buy it from there but just type in "wrestling mat tape" in google and it'll give you a lot of sites to choose from.

We use that tape everyday we roll out the mats in wrestling.