Buying lifted vehicles

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MUDFISH, Dec 25, 2004.

1. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Just looking for advise on buying trucks that are already lifted. I am fairly familiar with the vehicle I am looking at and I know it is a street queen. Will it be as reliable in the long run as a stock vehicle? Overall it is in great shape with low miles, and the price is pretty decent.
    What do you think?
    Here is a link
    Autotrader Link

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I can't tell from that pic how it was lifted.

What was done in the front and back?

If it's blocks, stay as far away as possible. Shackles are okay, but you'll get premature sagging and you'll wear out your leafpacks sooner. If it's an AAL, then you'll probably have a more stiff ride. If they have new leafpacks then that's the best way to lift the rear... What shocks?

How was the front lifted? Spacers will wear out your springs faster, and you'll have a more-rough ride. A drop-bracket lift will keep stock suspension geometry, so that's good to consider for a street-queen. Coilovers are the best if the lift is under 2.5" (but that looks much more than 2.5".

Find out how it was lifted, and by whom. Ask about what parts have been replaced, and any differences in wear. I usually say don't buy a modified truck, but if you really want to, then have it checked out by some pros. Be extra sure to check the quality of the install, as well as wear on suspension components such as the tie rod ends, balljoints, etc.

Is it a 4x4? Raising a 4x4 with IFS usually brings complications and additional wear and tear (that's why a drop-bracket keeping stock geometry is so good).

Are you going to keep it as a street queen? I'll stress again, tho, no blocks in the rear!

Overall, just have it checked over by a pro.

3. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Thanks for the things to look out for. Here is what I know about the truck:
    It is a complete Superlift system professionally installed by a reputable offroad shop in the area. It was lifted right and built for offroad, but never was. This was done right and well taken care of.
    I am not new to trucks or off roading, and I have a body lift on mine now. I am just wondering about the long term effects of a suspension lift. Will the vehicle will experience any wear and tear more than stock in the long run. Any comments about anything are appreciated.
    Thanks

4. PJB

PJB Guest

Superlifts are pretty good since they replace alot of parts including the control arms.
    A 9" lifted truck isnt going to handle as good as stock. Its also going to be a PITA to get in and out of all the time.
    With 36" tires gas mileage is going to suck and the speedometer will be off unless its been reprogrammed.

I honestly wouldnt buy a modified truck.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, a body lift is a poor way to lift a truck... It's got a 3" body lift, so that would be enough for me to not want anything to do with that truck. However, with anything modified, you put additional strain on components. Even just running larger tires puts much more strain on your drive train.

If the lift was done properly, then it may be a great truck, but I agree with PJB that I wouldn't buy a lifted truck.

BTW, assuming it was power-everything in *mint*-condition w/CD, KBB is only $12,490. That is a LOT less than he's asking, so I would definitely not take it. Just so you know, never give additional money for modifications they have done. If anything, mods will lower resale value -- even if they improve the truck. The only exception is when the buyer really wants the truck for what it is... But with a BL and as a street queen, I wouldn't do it.

6. Stevecdn001

Stevecdn001 OT Supporter

With a modern IFS truck, I'd want to do it myself to make sure its done right

7. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

So whats the proper way to lift a truck?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

IFS is best lifted up to 3" using coilovers. 6" of lift can be done with a drop-down bracket, of which I've never had a problem with. 9" of lift can be done with a drop-down bracket and a coilover used together. More than that is easiest done with a SAS.

For the rear, you can do shackles on some vehicles (not on a Tundra, I don't think). AALs work for anything with leafs-over-axle. For leafs-under-axle, you can flip em for about 5". Custom leaf packs are best.

9. del_parker

del_parker New Member

3" body lift is fine if you do everything correctly, and have a SAS if it was IFS. Plus I had to have it on mine, otherwise I wouldn't been able to replace the 22R with a 400 small block.