GUN Buying from a pawn shop?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copperhead035, Dec 29, 2004.

1. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Before I get into my question, I just thought I would do the standard "Hello, I'm a noob" thing.

My name is Mike, I live in Columbus, OH. All that I own right now is an old ruger 10/22 and a Savage Arms over under single shot breakaction. Top barrel is a .22 mag and the bottom is a 20 guage.

Now for my question - I'm looking to buy a 12 guage pump, but I'm a poor college student. Would there be anything bad about buying a gun at a pawn shop? I've been seeing tv commercials for one lately that actually looks to be fairly nice. I've never been in one before, so I'm not totally sure what to expect.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

From the advice I have heard about buying pistols is to inspect it.. and field strip (which I dont know if you can do with a shotgun), but I suspect you could get a good deal.

3. I have bought guns from pawn shos before. You just have to inspect them pretty good. Take someone who knos about guns with you if you are uncertain about your knowlege. I have got some pretty good deals before.

4. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Buying guns from gun shops is like buying a gun anywhere else, only thing you have to remember is that if you have problems later on down the road they're not gonna fix it for you or take it back. So just examine the gun properly before purchasing it, and of course get the price taken down as much as possible. If you need to know what to look for while looking at a used shotgun just ask.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

just remember that pawn shops have outrageous markup, so don't hesitate to wheel and deal them down. And whatever you do, don't rely on the people at the pawn shop to know anything about firearms, or give you honest replies. Take along someone who knows firearms to inspect it for you.

6. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

Agreed.

7. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

:werd:

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

:werd:

when Marlin .17HMR's were new a local pawnshop had a used stainless/laminate for $100 over MSRP :ugh: Make sure you know what you're buying before you lay your money down.

9. SCROOM

SCROOM Guest

I've worked at a pawn shop before. Working at one for a few months taught me a lot of valuable lessons about buying and selling items and dealing in relatively small (under $2000) amounts of money.
    Perhaps the most valuable lesson of them all was to see the reaction you would get from a person when they were offered an extreme lowball price for what they were selling or pawning.
    Before and since then, I have gotten many many great deals at pawn shops..here are a few examples...

Several SKS's of various origin (most Chinese, and some were rough), never paid more than $100 for one
    2 NIB Chinese MAK-90 AK's...I think I paid $150 for one, $100 for the other (got lucky)
    1 mint S&W 686 Stainless 6 inch .357 for $250 (made him an offer I didnt think he would take and was suprised when he did)
    1 Beretta Tomcat, paid $100
    3 Beretta 92FS, paid $500 for all 3

There are others, but I cant remember them all. I used to have a 2 hour break between classes about 3 years ago and spent a semester browsing pawn shops during my break. Havent messed with buying and selling much in a couple years though, I have pretty much everything I want now:)

Basically, I think that the secret to getting deals on firearms is to keep your eyes open, know where to look, and to never be afraid to make what may seem like rediculously low offers to most people.

10. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

:werd: I ended getting an HK P7M8 for $550 :)
    Make an offer they should refuse and hope for the best :x:

11. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I really appreciate the help. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll make time to go check it out.

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I found an HK USP.45 MK23 sitting in a pawn shop for 900 bucks once. I still kick myself in the ass for not scrounging up the cash for it. Dumbasses didn't realize what they had.

13. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

what's NCIC?

And would there be any way for me to run the serial myself to make sure it's legit?

14. Volkl

Volkl New Member

I bought my first gun from a Pawn Shop. Took my gun knowning friend and all. Turned out to be an absolute nightmare and pawned it back to the same shop after 1000 horrible rounds. Took a serious hit, but was glad to have it off my hands.

15. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

:squint: credit card fool.i saw new hk p7 for $500 like 3 years ago.i didnt know much about them back then and the green cardboard box that it was in made me think less.i thought it was something hk made that didnt really sell,im still thinking about it til this day. :wtc: