Buying first mac... any tips?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GTSlow, Jul 24, 2007.

1. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

So I am very very impressed with the fit and finish of the macbooks, and since I am not going to be playing any games on my laptop and I have been putting off learning Macs for a few years I think I am going to go out and buy one.

I was pretty much planning to go for the base model macbook (2ghz, 1 gig memory, etc) and then get the free ipod nano and sell my ipod mini.

The question I have for all you mac guys is if I should wait until OS 10.5 releases and get my macbook then when it comes preinstalled, and pricewise what apple does for OS upgrades. It seems like there are a lot of updates of OS X. Are these free like windows update?

Either way, I will buy a macbook in the next few months. Should I wait, or just go out and buy soon?

Thanks

2. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

If you want to wait till october then wait. If not then just get a macbook now and "upgrade" it later on for a decent price of "$0 USD".

IMO you should never wait on buying a computer, because every month something newer, better, and faster will come out. You will be playing the waiting game for years before you will pull the trigger.

3. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

O and i probably get flamed for this, but I think Applecare is a ripoff.

You get one year with Apple anyways, if anything wrong with it, fix it for free. After that year is up, your better off fixing it yourself or just selling it off and buying a new product. $280 dollars is not wroth it IMO.

4. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

ehh macs don't get free upgrades? it'll cost him $129 for leopard.

5. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

My friend OinK gives out free updates? :dunno:

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i'll disagree with him...
    applecare in my opinion is highly worth it. not everyone needs to sell their computer every year and buy a new one. mac's last forever. Even the old g3's pretty much can run the OS that's out now, and that system is like 8 generations old.

besides, after 1.5 years, if your screen craps out, that'll cost you way more than $280 to fix on your own, and do you really want to sell your computer just because you were cheap to get apple care and because your screen crapped out? that's kinda stupid in my view.

Or what if your motherboard dies, you can't really sell it, and it'll cost you a shit ton to replace...all because you wanted to save $280 over a 2 year period.

get applecare, especially if this is your first mac.

also, the OS updates are $130 for the major releases. they have updates all the time, but you don't need to pay for it until a major system overhaul.

and like mentioned above, get a mac while you can, or you'll always be playing the waiting game.

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Glad to see your switching.

Its really up to you as to whether you wait or not. Personally, I would just get the computer and then spend the 130 to upgrade the OS later when leopard comes out, but thats just me.

Applecare, definitely, no question about it.

8. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Well yea...but honestly what percentage of people actually rack up $280 dollars in repairs? Applecare is a "product" that Apple Inc. offers...if it doesnt show a profit, they will get rid of it.

I mean my opinion of Applecare is just that, an opinion. If you feel $280 is worth protecting an investment of ~1000, then go for it. I never believe in extended warranties they sell at Bestbuy or Circuit City, and Applecare is no different. If youre the person to buy these extended warranties, then Applecare should be no different and buy it.

9. L Jay

L Jay OT Supporter

:wavey: I agree

10. fuzion1029

fuzion1029 New Member

I agree that some extended waranties are a crock of bullshit, but like Best Buy's 4 yr plans are usually priced pretty reasonably and a good idea. Especially stuff like on cameras where you can get the accidental coverage too. How many digi cameras have you had that lasted 4 years without it breaking or you breaking it? My iPod had the applecare on it, and I replaced that shit like 3 times (and then it crapped out right after the plan expired).

It's a gamble that you have to take. Pay now, or have the chance of paying a lot more later.

Also, they kind of count on people forgetting that they have the extended warranties on stuff. 4 yrs is a long time to remember that shit, especially when consumers are as fucking stupid as they are.

11. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

What the fuck if wrong with you? I seriously dont take anything serious on forums, but your really starting to bug me. :hs:

I cant state opinions anymore? Its people like you that give Mac users a bad name.

12. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I just picked up a MacBook.... I got it from Apple's refurb section and saved 1/4 (actually a little more) off retail, still comes with everything and the same 1 year. I'd go that route, they seem to come up pretty often there.

13. scirio

scirio Active Member

Buddy had to replace a power supply on an intel iMac 20" and something on the main board, cost from apple: $1250
    :eek3:
    get applecare

14. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Just my opinion. :o I never buy any extended warranties. Maybe a reason is I know how to fix it myself if the problem is simple, (i.e. Not LCD, or Mobo problem). However a question for the people that do; do you always buy extended warranty (From Best Buy, Circuit City, etc)?

15. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Calmed down a bit. haha. Kinda bugs me that anything I say that goes against the general opinion, he calls me out and derails the thread.

16. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i've never bought any extended warranty except for applecare...

my ex for example, she had one of those lovely 14in ibooks...
    4 logic boards, replaced wifi, replaced keyboard and a couple other things...
    without applecare, you don't even want to know the cost...

17. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Yikes. I guess she doesnt take care of it?

I had Dell XPS, iBook, Powerbook, Macbook, and now a MBP and the only trouble i had was with the macbook slot loading CD drive. Was under the 1 year so i bought it in and got it back the next day. If i didnt have warranty I just but a DVDr writer and just install it myself.