GUN Buying first hand gun, need advice!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by monkeywipes, Mar 15, 2008.

1. monkeywipes

monkeywipes New Member

Hey all. I am new to firearms.

So. I'm going to buying a handgun for the first time. I'm having some trouble deciding what exactly to get. I also have a internal argument over caliber. The handgun will be for personal protection and defense, so should I invest in a gun capable of using .357 mag or .45 acp? I've read a few articles and these two seem to be the preferred ammunition for self defense.

The one make and model I've been looking at a lot is the Taurus Millennium .45 ACP.

Some needs of the firearm:
    -Compact frame. The gun will be used in a concealed capacity.
    -Stopping power. I would like to have ample stopping power.
    -Easy cleaning, if possible.
    -Durable.
    -Price range: $250-$500 (Are used guns typically any good?)

Thanks.

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Caliber: 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP are all very effective self-defense rounds with modern hollowpoint ammunition. If cost of ammo comes into play for you 9mm is cheapest then .40S&W then .45ACP.

Stopping power: Bigger bullets make bigger holes, and usually make bigger cavities. The .357Mag is an effective round but the downside to it is it's only available in a revolver - thus making the max round count 7 shots. If you want a compact .357Mag, that's going to be pretty hard on your wrist and a compact revolver is typically harder to be accurate with.

My recommendation: go to a gun shop, and fondle as many guns as possible because only you can say what fits and feels best for you. If you can get rental guns that you're interested in, go for that. See if any buddies have guns that you can try out, also.

Used guns: Both of my handguns are used and are in excellent condition. A lot of gun owners buy guns, use them once or twice, let them sit, and then sell them. Most of them will only have a couple hundred rounds through them and will still be just fine, just make sure you can take a look at them for excessive wear.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

You can get a used Glock, XD, HK (if you're lucky), and others in that price range.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Holy lurker

6. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

you're new to guns... buy a 9mm. cheaper to shoot means cheaper to practice with means more practice.

Getting hit by a 9mm round will doa lot more damage than missing with a .45

7. monkeywipes

monkeywipes New Member

I've gone to a few shops and just get more confused every time. The price point of ammo is important. As well, as mentioned above, if the ammo is cheaper I can practice more which will make my shooting more effective.

Thanks for all the advice.

8. monkeywipes

monkeywipes New Member

anyone have any reservations about Taurus International?

9. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Confused about what exactly?

I'd go for a 9mm - cheapest round, still plenty effective as self-defense.

10. monkeywipes

monkeywipes New Member

confused about which gun to buy. Now I have a pretty good idea I want a gun that can use 9mm ammunition. But now I have to find the actual gun. Because I'm such a newbie I have no idea what an easy-to-clean gun looks likes or how a gun is suppose to fit in your hand. They all feel pretty good, my hand is a normal size so with exception of some large or small guns most guns feel OK.

When it fires, what am I looking for? What kind of feeling?

:dunno: It's difficult to articulate ideas about a subject you know nothing about. Haha. Anyway, any guidance will be well accepted.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think 9mm is a good choice, its suitable for self defense and the cheapest modern centerfire pistol round you'll buy. More affordable practice means you'll practice more.

If you haven't taken a pistol class or had any instruction yet, I'd get some. You'll learn some basics of shooting and you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for. You'll ultimately be looking for the gun that shoots the best for you with controls that aren't in the way or too hard for you to use. You can only read and talk about that so much, after a while you have to start shooting them. Many indoor ranges will also rent guns so you can test out guns you're thinking of buying. Don't worry about cleaning, they're all easy to clean.

12. monkeywipes

monkeywipes New Member

Go do it, huh? Sounds good. Most things are like that. Thanks for everyone's advice.

13. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

taking a class before buying a gun is a good idea... you'll learn what to look for, etc

14. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

just get a glock19 and be done with it...