GUN Buying first gun... permits, etc.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bausk, May 22, 2003.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I was thinking of purchasing a gun. It would be just to have for self defense or possibly going to the range. I have never owned a gun.

What is the best way of going about getting a gun. Just walk into a shop and ask for one? I really don't know where to start. What or where should I go to learn how to fire it correctly?

Also, what types of permits will I need, and what are the requirements (other than being 21). Also, does anyone know the Michigan CCW Laws?

2. Car54

Car54 Member

take a NRA or other approved/certified gun handling/training/safety class.

A good place to learn about CCW laws is www.packing.org and of course the NRA site has tons of info.

Please get some training before buying a gun.

3. JW2

JW2 New Member

Also when you get it, make sure you get some hearing and eye protection.

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Michigan Law states you must be 21, pass backgound check, have no felonies, no other charges in past 2 years (I think) you pick up a pistol permit from the police station..you go to dealer, do back ground check, buy gun, then you have 10 days to take it and get it registered. For CCW you have to take a class and pay money.

AIM me for anything further PlatThundr

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

P_T gave you a good outline of what to expect, but take NOTHING you read on the internet as legal truth. Just advice.

Yes, the best way is to simply walk into a gunshop and tell them you're interested in buying a handgun.

Any decent shop will be more than happy to outline the steps involved in legally owning a handgun and pointing you in the right direction.

Ask them to recommend you a place to take that NRA safety class too. If your state doesn't require it for a permit, it's still the best way you can learn safe gun handling.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

sucks for you guys. for us, it's simply a background check. if you have a CCW, you don't need the background check. however, the background check on the CCW takes about 3 months sometimes. which means i won't be able to carry until like january of 2005.