Buying first car fromn a dealer questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PEnGUiN188, Aug 18, 2009.

1. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Looking to replace my dayly driver with this 05 mustang from a local dealer. They are asking 12888 for it and KBB says the car is worth 11600. I know its normal that they start out high but whats the proper way to haggle them?

Also, my old car is a 92 in perfect shape, better to hold onto it and sell privately or just throw it at them and take whatever they give.

Sorry for the newb questions.

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Just ask them what their best bottom line price is, and see what they come back with. Don't let them ask you how much you want your payments to be -- negotiate the price of the car BEFORE you talk financing. Once you have the price, just say "You're going to have to do better than that... how about $_______" -- try your best to piss the salesman off and get his manager involved, you can usually net a better deal that way.

As for the trade, at first I'd say "nah, there's no trade-in" and once you get to a bottom line price you like, tell them "You know, the more that I think about it, I might just trade in my old car.... can you tell me how much you'd give me for it?" That usually gives you a bit of wiggle room to haggle on the trade-in price and bring what you pay for the new car down.

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

:bowdown:

Car buying 101 here

4. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Listen to BlazinBlazer Guy, that's pretty much the best way to go about it.

The dealership workers are not your friends, they're going to try to shaft you for as much as possible. So if you get them pissed off, it's only because they're not going to make as much money as possible off you.

Also, try the cash for clunkers thing, if your '92 vehicle is a pos you can still get a very decent deal from most dealers for the car. Not all dealerships are doing that though.

The only time I ever went to the dealership with my mom was in '93 when she was dying to have a thunderbird with the 5.0 v8. car was like 27k and she talked those fuckers down to 13k. I was only like 8 or 9 at the time but I remember how infuriated those people were :rofl: She got a hell of a deal. I don't know how she did it, probably threatened them :rofl: They tried to get her to pay like 1000+ for floormats and $1000 for the keyless entry b.s. and all kinds of extras that simply aren't worth the extra money.

5. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Oomg I printed this out to take with me tomarrow.

I just found a 07 Mustang with 20000 miles on it for 14800, I'm gonna ask for the carfax and if thats clear than wham bam thankyou mam.

6. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

another thing... dont be scared of making a too low offer. they are asking too high so dont be afraid to offer a lower then reasonable offer.

and remember no matter how much you like THAT car, its a mustang, their are thousands of them

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

When you go in there be prepared to spend some time. Its not a quick 15 minute thing. You have to haggle back. If through it they aren't working with you just get up and say thank you for your time but I'm not here to waste mine and I'll go somewhere else that wants to work with me. They will end up saying hold on let me see what my manager says.