Buying Dell off Ebay?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Just wondering if this is a good idea or not, I'm interested in getting a Dell notebook (5100 series) and there are some pretty good deals on Ebay for them.

2. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

I wouldn't do it.
    Check out the dell clearence center on the dell site?

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If the seller has a high feedback rating (in the thousands) and you pay by credit card (so you can charge it back if you have to) you're reasonably safe. I've looked at Dell's clearance site and those prices are damn near full price.

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Agreed. eBay is pretty damn safe nowadays if you play it cool. Just buy only from those with high feedback (with 95%+ positive) and buy either through escrow or with credit card..

You could save tons of money. I've bought machines off of ebay plenty of times and have had NO problems. Good luck and happy shopping.

5. Brian

Brian New Member

ya its safe just buy off ebay they got good deals

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I got a really, really great deal on a brand new Dell PowerEdge server. It was about $400, and the spec's for the machine were 2.0 GHz P4 with 128 MB. After that, I hit up crucial.com and bumped the RAM up to 640 MB for dirt cheap. Some of the RAM for these servers are so damn cheap.

Oh, and this was back in October 2002.

7. carlin

carlin Guest

ebay is just like any other auction place, with an added benefit of looking up a seller past history. So take the same common sense precautions. Look at the sellers rating. Use paypal or some escrow services to pay the seller when the auction is complete. Try not to use personal checks and money orders.