Buying Dell Laptop, which options to get (Vid card related)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sushtsi, Jul 9, 2003.

1. sushtsi

sushtsi OT Supporter

Hey guys gonna buy a Dell Inspiron 600M

Intel Centrino 1.3GHZ
    14.1" XGA 32MB ATI Radeon 9000
    512 MB DDR RAM (2 Dimms)
    40GB HD
    2X DVD+RW/+R Combo Drive
    USB Floppy Drive
    Nylon Carrying Case
    USB Mouse
    Windows XP Home
    1-Year Return-to-Depot Service, 24x7 Phone Tech Support, 365 days a year Warranty

Now my question is should I upgrade to Centrino 1.4GHZ w/ 14.1" SXGA monitor, or go for 1.3GHZ 14.1" SXGA + ATI Radeo 9000 64mb? Or I could Upgrade the HD to 60GB or Get Speakers and a cool carrying Case.

Also should I upgrade the warranty to 3yrs? How about complete care coverage? Should I get onsite or Return To Serivce?

Its gonna be a desktop replacement, going to live away at uni, gonna be playing games, assignments, downloading music. Nothing crazy like editing videos or 3d rendering. May download some movies or rip them and make backups on the dvd burner.

Thanks guys :)

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Video card. Fuck the service.

3. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I've heard you might want to bump the warranty if it's a cheaper model because the cheaper dells tend to fall apart and break more frequently than the high end models... :dunno:

4. dm33186

dm33186 Guest

ive got the 1.3 with the 32mb 1024 res screen and i love it. the 1.4 isnt worth the extra money i wouldnt think, the 1.3 is very fast and ive had no issues with speed it has run everything i have thrown at it including vs.net 2003 pro and games such as CS, trainhunters, fallout tactics and warcraft 3 and its ran everything perfectally

5. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

You're better off getting the least amount of memory you can and then buying memory somewhere else... Dell charges too much for memory

6. sushtsi

sushtsi OT Supporter

Is memory easy to upgrade on a laptop? Does your warranty get voided if you open the laptop and add more memory?

Also was considering this computer for roughly the same Price

Dell Inspiron 5150
    15" SXGA+ monitor
    64mb ATI Radeon 9000
    Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 processor at 3.06GHz
    512MB,333MHz,2 DIMMs
    40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
    External USB Floppy Drive
    8X Max Variable DVD-ROM Drive (will probably buy an external usb dvd burner seperately for home)
    Dell TrueMobile™ 1300 WLAN (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) Mini-PCI card
    Deluxe Nylon Carrying Case for Inspiron Systems
    3-Year Limited Warranty, 3-Year On-Site Service, 24x7 Phone Tech Support, 365 days a year

This system is about $200 more than what i was getting before. Only thing im thinking is that the radeon 9000 mobile is a bit dated? Ive heard that there is a 9200 or 9600 for laptops but Dell doesnt seem to offer it? What do you guys think?

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I have the 600m with the 32mb vid card, i dont really play games on the lappy so its more than enough. 1.3 is fast enough... One thing I must recomend is geting thing screen that allows for the highest resoultion, i feel that 1024x768 is just not enough for me

8. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

The 600m is a bit more portable than the Inspiron 5150. Memory upgrading on the 600m is extremely easy. It's a matter of popping open the memory panel at the bottom of the laptop and popping the memory module in. But remember that the 600m's only have 2 memory slots. So upgrade wisely.

As for the video.. it totally depends on what games you play. The ATI 9000 64mb is totally adequate for games like Quake3 and GTA3. If you really must want the 9600 chip, you'll have to wait a couple of months.

I'd just go for the best 600m you can afford.. or a Latitude model with similar specs because they're built better than the Inspiron's. Case and quality wise

9. mind7

mind7 Guest

I would suggest at least the complete care coverage. It is oh so nice when you accidently spill your favorite wine all over it. For some reason they replace the unit. Insurance for the accident prone :big grin: