A&P Buying D70 little Help??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by qtJack, Nov 12, 2004.

1. qtJack

qtJack Guest

I m buying Nikon D70 in 1 month.. before dec 18... and i have been searching for the cheapest price..
    i found these 2 websites..(body only)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    Price After Rebate: $ 899.95

but in this website below (the camera body) 760$

www.bwayphoto.com

and i m not sure which website is more reliable.. and more trustable.. does anybody know any place i can buy the camera? cheaper? and i also want to have extended warranty for at least 3 years..any help?
    Thankss

2. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

bhphoto is as reputable as you can get. they have a better return policy then most other online venders too.

ritzcamera gives you the options you want for warranties. you might want to look at onecall.com also.

ecost.com, dbuys, buy.com etc are decent. their delivery status is a bit questionable at times, but you eventually get it

3. qtJack

qtJack Guest

onecall.com is underconstraction, i ll check it tomorrow

thanks

4. mojito

mojito New Member

5. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

what happened to the 1200 deal with the body and the kit lens?

6. qtJack

qtJack Guest

can i get 3 year warranty with these websites?
    or do i have to buy the camera from nikon store in order to get warranty, i dont want gray market product, they give their own warranty..

7. jTranz

The Camera usually comes with a 1 year. I forget which vendor gives you the extended 3 years at a higher price, but it's probably one of the ones we've mentioned here.

If it's essential for you to have the 3 year warranty you might want to look at local retail shops. Your local Best Buys, Good Guys, etc... should carry that camera, albeit at retail price, but at least you'll have the convenience to return the camera or bring it in if anything goes wrong.

8. qtJack

qtJack Guest

i just find out that canon rebel eos is almost 200$ less then D70... do u guys think i sholud go with canon or nikon??
    does each has really big difference??
    thx

9. jTranz

Canon rebates will give you the Canon DR with 2 VERY good lenses for about $1000 dollars right now.

The D70 is a more solid camera with better feature sets, but image quality on the DR is better overall. It really comes down to which one you prefer. I'm assuming you've picked up and tried out both.

Are you planning on getting another dslr down the road? Is there a more expensive model you really want but have to defer to these for now because of $$$? If that's not the case and this will probably be your first and last, then get the one you're most comfortable with.

If there was only 1 I had to take under that price range, I'd probably take the D70. I only say this because the D70 is a great bang for the buck if you're not looking for anything more. I'd get the Digital Rebel now if I was looking to move up to the 20D or 1D series cameras in a few years.

I'm a 20D owner now so I'm perfectly content on where I am...and I'm slightly Canon Bias. :o

10. qtJack

qtJack Guest

well I picked them up and touch them in a store, but didnt take any picture. But D70 was very comftable then Canon Rebel.. its going to be my first digital SLR camera.. and the money is also a problem, i was planning to spend around 1100 or 1200 for camera lens and a 1gb compact flash card. I think i will stick with the one i m going to buy soon.. i might maybe buy 4 ,5 years later another one maybe.. but d70 or rebel is going to be my camera for a long time.. and i ll probably buy lenses in the future..
    so its really difficult for me to choose..
    i compare both of them:

D70 : 1/8000 shutter, flash range 36ft, 3fps 12 jpeg frames, 6.1 MP
    canon: 1/4000 shutter, flash range 39.3 tf, 2.5fps max 4 images, 6.3 MP

so both of them their own plus and minuses.. i m really dyinng to get a camera.. in 2 weeks i have to get oneee.. i mean haveee too :)

11. jTranz

If you have to have ONE, and live with it for awhile, get the D70. The Rebel is cheaper from the start but there's more room for growth on the D70.

Have you looked into the Canon EOS 10D? It's a Rebel with all the missing features. Priced right now around the same as the D70. People are willing to deal on those to clear stock.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

I doubt you'll ever be above 1/2000 of a shutter speed, so that shouldn't be an issue. The built in flash is a joke on an cam, so I wouldn't let that be an issue either. The .2mp difference is nothing, though the RD's CMOS sensor is slightly better than the D70's ccd.

Frams persecond/total continous frames is something to consider. Noise at higher isos, fit and finish, battery life, things like that are going to be more important.

Though the biggest question is what lens system do you want to go into? Chances are, in a few years you won't have this body anyway, but you lenses will out live you. Canon is putting the most money into digital, and deffinetly staying well ahead of Nikon and everyone else. Something to consider for the future.

13. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

I wouldnt go price shopping for the d70, just buy it from best buy. Ide rather spend a few hundred bucks more knowing I'm getting a good product then buying it from some no name that might not send good merchandise.

14. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

I would tend to disagree. If you are going to spend $1,000 why not spend a few hundred more to get the best dslr on the market for the price range?

Nikon > * any day. Period. Any professional photographer would agree too. Nikon has been making better cameras longer, and I have been using their film slrs for like 15+ years with amazing results.

15. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

Additionally Pentax and Minolta are coming out with lower-priced DSLRs in the next month or two. You rarely hear of them though because they don't have the marketing budget of the big guys.

All 4 have a large collection of good lenses available, both brand new and used on eBay.
    All 4 are going to give you excellent results.
    None of the 4 companies are going out of business any time soon.

For your purposes, all 4 are interchangeable. Don't get caught up in the numbers game like a lot of people do on the internet where you compare the cameras just by their measurements and specs. The bottom line is that a good picture comes from YOU and not the camera. If it's a good picture, nobody is going to spend any time examining things on a pixel-by-pixel basis to see what imperfections they can find.

What you should do is go to the store and find out which one fits you best. You already said that you like the feel of the D70 better than the DR. Have you actually used them though? Give them both a try and see which one you prefer to take pictures with. Which menu system do you like? Are there any design issues that make it annoying or complicated for you to take pictures. Remember that it has to be fun.

So, all 4 are "good" and you can pick any of them and get good results. That's all you need to know about their specs. The decision you need to make now is which one just feels right. And that is the camera you should buy.

16. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

:slap:

17. mojito

mojito New Member

:ugh2:

Canon Digital takes up more professional market share than all other digital combined. Canon's top of the line is 2 years ahead of Nikon, see the 1Ds MKII compared to the D2h

18. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Quantity of sales has no relevance to quality of their products. True professionals that have used nikon's products since film know they are better, period. Canon isn't a bad company and their products are great, i'm just saying Nikon is better. Again, thats personal preferance. I like the Nikon for many reasons like its feel (not plasticky toyish like the rebel) but more importantly over long term products. Canon's rebel may have been out 2 years ahead of Nikons and nikons products are notorious for taking longer to come out, but I have seen technology change and improve and Nikon does it for me. Like I said, I think you have a misunderstanding of quantity vs quality. I don't know one professional photographer that has been in the industry for more than 20 years that would pick a rebel over a d70, but that's just me. :bigthumb:

19. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

if you plan on sticking with dslr photography for a while.. dont choose between the 300d and the d70, choose between the lenses offered for canon and nikon, you'll probobly end up spending a lot more on those than camera bodies

20. qtJack

qtJack Guest

tomorrow i m going to ritz camera, and i m going to check both of them, rebel and d70.. i ll tell them they i want to see the picture qualities, and how comfty is it to use.. since i m going to use the one i m gonna buy for a while.. i need to check the lenses too, which brand is more expensive or has better options(features)..

21. mojito

mojito New Member

Get a frikking clue. I'm in the indutrsy and at the best photography school in the country, I think I know a little more than you do when it comes to equiptment. Go out and see what real world photographers are using. Its Canon Digital. Yes Nikon ruled the film market, but now the times are changed. I said nothing about the rebel compared to the d70 in that last statement, I compared the 1Ds MK II to the D2x. The D2x, as said by Nikon, is to challenge the 1Ds, what did Canon do just 5 days later, announce there replacement for the now 2 year old model that Nikon is struggling to catch up to. And Canon is full frame, while the D2x is still at 1.5x.

Go to any sporting event, wedding, press conference, help watch animal planet, you'll see at least an 8:1 Canon to Nikon ratio.

In regards to the Rebel, If you would do your homework you'd see the rebel will produce a better, cleaner picture and you would be in Canon's lens system, which is growing faster and in higher quality optics, plus be ahead of Nikon in technology. Yes the D70 has a better body and more features, but image quality is what it comes down to more often than now. Canon will win everytime.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  22. jTranz

I think you should also seriously consider the Canon EOS 10D like mentioned previously.

I should clarify my statements up top... if you do plan on getting extra lenses down the road, consider which camp you want to join, Canon v. Nikon.

Canon is a step on Nikon in the digital department.

Nonetheless, if you don't plan on getting any more lenses and sticking with just one body and the kit lens, then you should definitely go with the Nikon D70. If it's just a body you're getting, I'd skip right over the Rebel and look at the 10D.

23. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

I wouldn't go to ritz camera. Last time I was there, like a year and a half ago I looked at the rebel and the guy wanted me to pay $300 for a one or two year limited warranty. I bought my d70 at best buy with a warranty for 4 years on top of their 1 year, so 5 years for under $100.

24. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Thats very interesting but you won't change my mind. You can go to harvard for all I care, A SCHOOL will not ever make you a "good photographer." This is my preference as many other professional photographers. You can go ahead and try to argue with me all day, I made my point and i'm not about to switch to Canon after all of this time. Nikon makes great products, better than Canon, I have witnessed that my entire life. I'm sure I'm not the only one saying that. Photography equipment is preference, maybe you see more canons maybe you see more nikons, what, do you want a freakin award. :ugh: :nono: Grow up. MONIMAID on this website would back me up any day of the week, hes a very good photographer and switched from the rebel to the d70. If you have anything else to say give me a PM.

25. mojito

mojito New Member

Well you can continue your narrow mindedness at be stuck in the dark ages all you want. I'll be light years ahead and getting paid for my results, but hey, thats just the basic idea of being a photographer.

Will a Nikon get the job done, sure. Is Canon ahead of the game and most professional photographers shooting with Canon, yes.

Thats great that one other person on this random board will back you up. Why don't you look at real professional photography boards like Fred Mirandas site, sports shooter, iphoto, photo.net etc