Buying cell off of Ebay, etc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicklk, Dec 15, 2004.

1. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Looking at buying a cell phone off of ebay, or something of the sorts, but what all entails into getting a cell phone lined up to get your service transfered to it?? Does it have to be unlocked? or whats the deal on that??

I am an AT&T customer, sorry for the newb questions

2. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

just email the seller. make sure they have good feedback also. it doesn't have to be unlocked, if it is a AT&T branded phone.

3. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

I have a bunch of cell phones from ebay. Besides conditioning;

just make sure you have the branded phone. Once I bought a former AT&T phone to use on verizon but due to software problems that wasn't possible.

Just make sure the phone is already branded with/by your provider.

4. mvizos

mvizos New Member

you can't use an ATT phone on verizon because it's different technologies (tdma/gsm vs. cdma). If you're not familiar with that, you probably shouldn't be buying phones online, and stick with the customer service group of your current provider.

Assuming you're looking at buying a GSM phone, if it isn't branded for the provider you're on or going to, you'll need a phone that is unlocked, so that any providers SIM card will work in it. If it isn't already unlocked, you'll have to pay to get that done as well, so depending on the type of phone, you're looking at an extra cost for it.