A&P buying camera off ebay........

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by zentrickster, Mar 9, 2004.

1. zentrickster

zentrickster New Member

anyone have any experience of buying a camera off ebay?? they have "ebay stores" that seem to sell mostly new equipment. i'm skeptical, but they come with such good packages---- bag, 128mb, tripod, etc.

should i avoid ebay for cameras???

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Just make sure they aren't gray market.

3. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

first thing to realize is that those "great packages" are worth well under $100 in most cases.. the only time I have ever bought stuff off ebay is if I want to get it used. New stuff on ebay - irregardless of what it is - is always more expensive than a "true" online vendor...

just use pricegrabber.com and find a reliable and cheap place to buy from

4. Freejack2

Freejack2 Moo!

As for stuff on ebay I got my D40 off of ebay and it's been great (well having problems now but that can happen with any camera). Be wary of what they say and ask questions. Some don't have US warranties. Just ask if it has a US/Canada warranty certificate.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  5. toekneedahtiger

toekneedahtiger New Member

I purchased my Canon A20 a couple years ago from an eBay auction. When I received the camera, I discovered a blown pixel on the LCD screen. I contacted the seller and he said he couldn't do anything about it because he purchased it from a bankrupcy auction. The pixel doesn't bother me much now, but I would advise you to ask as many questions as you can about their policies or why the deal seems too good to be true if it is. Especially if they're willing to take it back and exchange it for a different one if something is wrong with the camera.

6. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

Make sure to buy from an e-merchant (with company address/telephone number listed) so that way you are safe in case anything happens. I bought my A70 from an e-merchant off of eBay. Replaced it with a G5 a few months later because I wanted more out of a digital camera, otherwise no problems. :)

7. nitro

nitro Guest

I never had a problem...always be careful. I've never bought a late-model type, or digital for that matter. I buy OLD cameras, every one of them lived up to my expections.

8. 2jz

2jz New Member

I sold one of my 1v-hs (about 10rolls through it, so basically brand new), one of my lowepro bags and a couple of L-series lens on there. so i would recommend it. i would ask for USA warranty card. to secure your purchase's warranty and to make sure its not grey market

9. Davan

Davan Guest

I got my Fuji 3800 on ebay. But it was from an auction put on by an actual retail store. So it was all good! :)

10. The First Child

The First Child New Member

I bought my Canon SD100 that came with: Tripod, extra Lithium Ion battery, 128mb memory card, and the screen wipe. It was $300+. Just make sure when you buy a camera from e-bay, the seller is reliable and have mainly positive feedback. Most important, if he/she offers insurance and shipping is by UPS, then that would be better. You can't guarantee that every seller is good -- just base your decision on instincts.

I bought my camera from the ebay seller: cametaauctions. They have an actual store too.

-Lisa

11. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

12. 2jz

2jz New Member

watch for bait and switch stores...most of them have an NY address.

13. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

That's what I'm going to be doing one of these days - when the right piece comes up for bidding. I want an old SLR with a basic 50mm lens for less than $100. If it doesn't work right, no biggie. You get what you pay for.

14. nitro

nitro Guest

You just have to know what you want to look for.

I bought a Canon T70 for $8.00 off eBay because it had a broken battery door clip. I put a rubber band around it, and tested it. Besides that, it works flawlessly. :eek3:

15. Just a kid

Just a kid Guest

I just bought a Canon EOS 10d and lens for $1600 on ebay. Received the camera yesterday everything is perfect. So good deals do happen!

16. irishwhite

irishwhite Guest

what does it mean when a camera is gray market?

17. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

not intended for US market, no warranty support from the manufacturer

could be wrong, I think thats the basic idea though