Buying an R6, exhaust question?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bdog, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

I may buy my friends 01 R6 and was wondering if I put on a slip on pipe, do I need to re-jet or do anything to the bike? It seems when my friends would put on a pipe they would re-jet or drill the air box, but this was with F2's in '94 or so. My other friend has a ZX12 that is FI and when he put on his pipe, Muzzy sent him a program to upload.

So, what is a good pipe and will a slip on work with no problems of messing up the fuel curve? If I don't get his bike, I am probably going to get an '03 R6.

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

3. Car54

Car54 Member

You will need to rejet the bike for it to run at its maximum potential with the pipe.

Why put a pipe on it? just to scare old ladies? :)

4. aloe

aloe OT Supporter

my friend bought an r6 last year for his first bike after he took the MSF course. he's never put it down. hell immortal hasn't been riding very long and he already upgraded from a F4i to a 954.

it's a matter of recognizing your skill level and knowing to respect the power you have at the twist of the throttle.

IBitsonlyamatteroftimebeforetheylayitdownretort

5. kubla khan

kubla khan Guest

It's only a matter of time before they lay it down.

6. Wolf

Why did he upgrade? In that short period of time did he learn to fully utilize the F4's power? Improve the rider, not the bike.

7. aloe

aloe OT Supporter

and there you have it

8. Wolf

People with your grammar is more stupider.
    The 954 is not a better street bike, it's a better track bike. If you want a good street bike, like you said, you get something with torque, ie: a v-twin. The F4i is a much better daily driver/street bike than the 954, but the 954 is clearly better on the track. Your arguement is flawed.

You don't utilize 100% of a bike on the street, I agree there, but if you have a bike with power and handling levels that are already beyond your skill, why the fuck would you trade it for one with even higher levels? Essence of squid right there.

Your friend:
    [​IMG]

9. Wolf

That defined the first group ride I ever went on. About 15-20 young squids on GSXRs, R6/1s, etc. First bikes for all, and they all rode the same, 70-80mph on the straights, braking to 25mph for the curves, then WOT again on the next straight. You know who passed them all up (on the outside)? An experienced rider on a Yamaha V-Star cruiser who was dragging pipe in the curves. Think about it for a while.

10. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

11. kubla khan

kubla khan Guest

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

12. Low Carb JYD

Low Carb JYD Guest

every bike is different, every R6 is different, on my '01 i had untouched carbs with a full AMA supersport spec motor, 123 hp to the tire. ran flawlessly.

most slip-ons are mainly noise makers, if you are looking for performace, get the full system.

JD

13. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I wouldn't say I would trust some guys decision who rides 140(was it that?) at night while stoned [immortal]

I doubt you will have to rejet for a slip on, but if you do a full exhuast you definatly will have to